Note to New Members ×

Longboard - Reborn

Arclite

So many of you heard about how I cracked my D.L.H. (Dervish replica)

well my dad and I.....

the pictures tell the story.

DSCF3511.jpg

DSCF3512.jpg

DSCF3519.jpg

DSCF3524.jpg

DSCF3515.jpg

DSCF3518.jpg

DSCF3521.jpg

DSCF3526.jpg

DSCF3535.jpg

DSCF3539.jpg

DSCF3542.jpg

DSCF3552.jpg

DSCF3554.jpg

DSCF3558.jpg

DSCF3559.jpg

DSCF3529.jpg

DSCF3546.jpg

DSCF3547.jpg

DSCF3562-1.jpg

DSCF3563.jpg

DSCF3567.jpg

Fun little beast to ride.

It threw me around the first few rides.

This thing whips around when you slide it.

I have video to prove it.

Will upload it later today.

pretty nice. You could turn that thing into a crazy pumping machine - just swap out the rear truck for something like the Seismic stable turn that your dad bought, wedge that front truck 7 degrees and throw on some khiro orange barrels and you have yourself a little street slalom pumper - they don't make very good sliders though.

Nice top floor - i missed it the last time i was there. We never made it past the third floor with all of the snowboards...

We're trying to get a group night session at that structure on a saturday.

We went 3 nights ago - AMAZING!

He bought the bennett's for pumping i believe, they wont be permanent on that ..... thing?

It's wedged about 5 degrees with another flat riser - we were having problems with wheelbite with 66mm retros!

We even did wheel cut-outs, but i dont have any pictures of that.

Albert - you missed the 2 special boards that are coming next... :biggthump

Yeah, pumping decks need lots of clearance due to the highly active front truck.

Most full time dedicated LDP decks sit around 5 to 5.5 inches off of the ground - not very friendly for pushing... But you're supposed to be pumping anyway.

If you look at slalom decks, you'll see that they're risered quite a bit. I don't know if you remember the axe2.5 that i brought, but that one was risered quite a bit.

As for more garage and skating sessions, I'm out for a bit - I gotta finish applications to grad school and junk before I have anymore fun. Hopefully, the board I ordered from Subsonic is done by then. I'm getting a double drop board 42" long. it should have some flex too. Essentially it was hard finding a one off board with all of the specs I wanted. Your dad could have built me a board with the drop-through and flex, but no concave or drop down.

I also could have bought a Rayne with the double drop and concave that I was looking for, but zero flex, and at the same price as a subsonic.

Anyway, once I figure out how to slide, I can bump up the speed in that garage, which I was kind of worried to do. The place I skate is about 4 lanes wide with zero traffic since it dead ends and is located in an industrial/business office area - night and weekends are nice. it also has a really long run out, but it's pretty short - only about 1/5 of a mile - maybe around 1200 feet long.

I personally am not sure if I like drop-down boards, as that subsonic was too short for me.

I wanna try an evo because it has more foot space. :biggthump

It's short for a reason - it's an LDP board first, and a pusher second.

The LDP part pretty much confines the wheel-base to around 26-31 inches (measured inner screw hole to inner screw hole - actual wheel base will vary based on trucks and wedging).

The longer the wheel base, the harder it is to pump a board at slower speeds, but the better the cruising/clipping speed of the board.

Shorter wheelbase is easy to pump - like on that Axe 2.5 that I was pumping UP the parking garage slope, but has a slower cruising/clipping speed.

Anyway, that subsonic was definitely not a downhill or sliding board - I mainly modified the wedging and truck setup to make it more stable and carve friendly, but the drop-down part makes the usable space on the board rather limited on an already shorter "longboard."

By contrast the Evo is 41 and has a 37" wheelbase, definitely a tougher pump on flatland and most likely grueling with any sort of incline or headwind.

Tell Andrea that, he likes the longer wheelbases but he wants to pump. :nono:

The Evo is also a downhill board, not a pumping board.

Actually, the evo has quite a few characteristics that make it a good hybrid pumping/push board.

The nose has built in wedging which means that you don't have to wedge it up that much more to get that extra active front truck. In contrast to that,the tail already has de-wedging, which gives it that good dead rear truck with traction. The not so good parts are the long wheelbase, the super stiff/no flex deck, and not being able to put your front foot over the front truck to really manipulate and control it (the trade off with cutouts and a lower riding deck).

As for the wheelbases, it's a general guide, and being that Andrea is quite a bit taller than I am (and the average height of 5'10"), he'll likely be fine with a slightly longer wheelbase, just don't go too long. In general, I'd say the most important part of pumping are the trucks and how they're set up with regards to wedging and bushings, wheels after that, and finally the board. Any board can be pumped, but not every board is efficient enough to pump for 50 mile trips on weekends, which is what the LDP guys at pavedwave do.

James Peters, the guy behind pavedwave rides his board to work 3x a week - 12.5 miles one way and often times makes the trip without ever putting his foot down to push except for when he first starts the trip.

originally posted by Bullwings

Nice top floor - i missed it the last time i was there. We never made it past the third floor with all of the snowboards...

originally posted by Arclite

Albert - you missed the 2 special boards that are coming next... :biggthump

i just realized that if you know where to look there is a hint in one of those pictures about the next 2 boards but they'll be finished soon and i'll post pictures and details then

I saw one of your other project boards... that one will definitely be interesting to say the least - turning will be all from leaning and very little from flex.

In other news...

-Final specs on my coiler from BV

164X23 VSR-tight with stubby nose/tail ("weird" custom one off according to him - he'll be holding on to it for a little bit longer to do some testing himself...)

-Julian, any word from BV on your board? How's the progress coming along? Specs? Going with one of the tried and true shapes - X2 or X4?

I saw one of your other project boards... that one will definitely be interesting to say the least - turning will be all from leaning and very little from flex.

In other news...

-Final specs on my coiler from BV

164X23 VSR-tight with stubby nose/tail ("weird" custom one off according to him - he'll be holding on to it for a little bit longer to do some testing himself...)

-Julian, any word from BV on your board? How's the progress coming along? Specs? Going with one of the tried and true shapes - X2 or X4?

I'll answer that question with a link. :biggthump

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26437