Note to New Members ×

How to choose softboot board for kids

Surf Quebec

I'll give it a shot, and I'm sure someone with more expertise will probably disagree, BUT...

First question is, how old is your kid? If your kid is younger than 10 years old, he/she will out grow the board pretty fast both as far as weight, height, and skill are concerned. At the same time, you don't want to buy a board for them to "grow into" since it might be too much to handle and take away the fun, thus turning them away from the sport.

If you're not looking to spend top dollar, then just pick a board that comes up to their chin and no higher than their eyes.

Yes, there's all sorts of things as far as flex is concerned, but I don't think much goes into the design of boards for light weight kids that are shorter than adults.

I figure it's best to keep it shorter (chin to nose length) as this will make it easier to counter rotate (yes, i know this is bad), but if your kid should start carving on that softy board, chances are the shorter length will make it easier for them to flex for their light weight with softboots.

That's how my snowboard was picked when I was 13, but then again that was 13 years ago and I didn't know any better, and neither did anyone else around me.

KarverKai was 4 when I bought his board so my only concern was getting the smallest board for him. I ended up buying a lamar dragon 90. Yup, a whopping 90cm. Last season it was actually starting to fit him and this season should be good at 6yrs.

As BobD stated, the width is a big factor in being able to ride well. KarverKai is running the tiny kids flow bindings which are still way too big for his feet. In order for his feet to be centered on the board in his "spiderman" boots I taped 1 1/2" foam to the highback. This did the trick and KK was able to pressure both sides of the board. Hopefully I can get an actual set of boots for him this season also.

If the child is light weight also look for a flexie board. Many of the kids boards that I have looked at are way too stiff for their intended riders.

Good luck,

Ink

I bought a burton chopper for my 2.5 yr old last winter

90cm. The nice thing about these boards is the bottom isn't flat, it curves up on the edges. Makes it really easy for the kids to initiate a turn and also not catch an edge.

Last winter ended when my daughter just turned 3. She loved the snowboard more then skis. Was able to traverse on heal side. I had to help her initiate the turn.

Mostly just for fun last year. This winter will see if a sub 4 year old can learn to turn!

Will pick up a pair of burton grom boots and will have to but something in there to keep her feet from flying out....

normal_20081129_1715.jpg

normal_20081129_1721.jpg