Note to New Members ×

wakesurfing?

shawndoggy

I used to do the wakesurfing with a Morey Doyle surfboard, before the specific wakesurf boards were introduced. I have also tried a wakeskate (wakeboard with no bindings). I managed to pull of one ollie, have no clue how I did it.

One question for Algunderfoot, what kind of boat are you footin behind? I used to own a Ski Nautique and my buddy owned a Barefoot Nautique, do you remember those? I got to the point where I was doing deep water starts, tumbleturns, wake to wake one footers and just started getting into backwards stuff before the boat went bye bye.

At a ski show in our local mtns we were able to get up 5 long liners behind the Barefoot Nautique. Took a few attempts but we were successful.

As for the skiing thing, my personal best was 5@32 off, 36 mph. I don't think I could run 15 off anymore. It's been a long time off the water!

I used to surf the oil tanker waves in my kayak as they passed my house, When I'd hear or see them coming I would paddle out with a whitewater boat and catch them as they came by. Everyday I'd see Perfect 3'+ breaking waves that just went on for hundreds of yards come past my house, how could you not want to surf them.

A few years ago I saw some guys down in the Gulf that were also doing it but they used a Boston Whaler to get out to the waves.

One question for Algunderfoot, what kind of boat are you footin behind? I used to own a Ski Nautique and my buddy owned a Barefoot Nautique, do you remember those? I got to the point where I was doing deep water starts, tumbleturns, wake to wake one footers and just started getting into backwards stuff before the boat went bye bye.

At a ski show in our local mtns we were able to get up 5 long liners behind the Barefoot Nautique. Took a few attempts but we were successful.

As for the skiing thing, my personal best was 5@32 off, 36 mph. I don't think I could run 15 off anymore. It's been a long time off the water!

I used to be the Midwest rep for Ski-Pro, and I still have my last piece of inventory, An overbuilt 22' Extreme that was featured in Waterski mag's boat guide in '95. She's packing a 400 c.i. Donovan Aluminum mill, pushing 460 h.p. through a Vulvo dual-prop outdrive. 0-40 in 3 sec's with two deepstarters in tow. Also features two pylons and a retractable training boom. I pulled 10 footers up at Footstock in '95, bent the pylon :) The real beauty of this boat is the firm creamy wake w/o a soft spot. Our barefoot club calls her the "Butter Cutter". With trim I can set up monsterous wakes for surfing / wakeboarding etc. Wakeboard Pro Scott Zanoni cut his teeth behind this ride"

Certainly remember the 2001 Barefoot Nautique, I learned long lines with Jeff Milbrath and Mike Siepel behind one. We currently do all of our slalom behind a buddy's '04 Nautique, but we are all over 36 y/o so 34 mph is the course speed (thank God). I have done full passes at 32 off, but not recently, haven't had the course in at all this year.

Our lake is very busy, so barefoot tricks were hard to practice beyond the one foots & tumbles. Was close to getting back deeps but two bad rotators have stopped any progress there. We all got into indurance footing instead, figure 8's and relays. Yes you can foot in 1 foot chop, breathing becomes optional however...In fact we're heading to Footstock tomorrow, always interesting, not always painless.

post-2562-1418422844_thumb.jpg

I remember Ski Pros, they always caught my interest just for the fact that it was an inboard/outboard. Being able to trim the outdrive for fast running or tuck it in for fast launches. If I had my choice i/o would come first, then direct drive and following would be outboards.

I know what you mean by not running 36 anymore, even if I free ski at 36 it feels like I am going mach 3.

BTW, nice boat!!!

I used to be the Midwest rep for Ski-Pro, and I still have my last piece of inventory, An overbuilt 22' Extreme that was featured in Waterski mag's boat guide in '95. She's packing a 400 c.i. Donovan Aluminum mill, pushing 460 h.p. through a Vulvo dual-prop outdrive. 0-40 in 3 sec's with two deepstarters in tow. Also features two pylons and a retractable training boom. I pulled 10 footers up at Footstock in '95, bent the pylon :) The real beauty of this boat is the firm creamy wake w/o a soft spot. Our barefoot club calls her the "Butter Cutter". With trim I can set up monsterous wakes for surfing / wakeboarding etc. Wakeboard Pro Scott Zanoni cut his teeth behind this ride"

Certainly remember the 2001 Barefoot Nautique, I learned long lines with Jeff Milbrath and Mike Siepel behind one. We currently do all of our slalom behind a buddy's '04 Nautique, but we are all over 36 y/o so 34 mph is the course speed (thank God). I have done full passes at 32 off, but not recently, haven't had the course in at all this year.

Our lake is very busy, so barefoot tricks were hard to practice beyond the one foots & tumbles. Was close to getting back deeps but two bad rotators have stopped any progress there. We all got into indurance footing instead, figure 8's and relays. Yes you can foot in 1 foot chop, breathing becomes optional however...In fact we're heading to Footstock tomorrow, always interesting, not always painless.

That's a beautiful boat and I'd love to wakeboard, ski, barefoot, but not wakesurf behind it. I've only ever wakesurfed once. It was this summer behind an Air Nautique (not mine) and it was amazingly fun. But you really shouldn't be wakesurfing behind an outdrive, stern drive, or anything with an exposed prop. You are riding so close to the boat that wiping while the stern drive was trimmed up could put you in the prop. :eek: Everything I've ever seen says only ride behind an inboard.

Here's my experience and admittedly it was my first (and only) day so maybe I was a little closer to the boat than people who are better at this but often the tip of the board looked like it was right over (or would pass over) the swim platform. On my last ride that day I wiped when my weight got a touch forward while I was trying to find the sweet spot on the wake and the board accelerated down the slope of the wake and before I could slow it bumped into the back edge (transom) of the boat. Had the boat been a trimmed up stern drive rather than an inboard I don't think I'd be making (or at least I wouldn't have the fingers to type) this reply right now.

Cheers,

Dave

Not to worry Dave,

That dual prop outdrive is tucked nicely under the integral swim platform, and when trimmed, drives the props deep in the water. The photo shows it in "Trailer Position" I initally had some resrvations too. Also the sweet spot is "further back" in relation to the boat, and trim can have an influence on that. Behind a conventional I/O this would be "death on a stick" no doubt.