Note to New Members ×

Utah... driving Park City to Brighton in winter

bjvircks

I'm planning a family trip to Utah for the last week of December... Hoping to stay in Brighton and also doing Solitude & the Park City 3. How is the road between them during late Dec? Consistently useable? Thanks

LOL, the dirt road over the pass from Brighton to PC? I think it's hopefully burried in 10' of snow. Have to drive back down to SLC and up 80.

** my info is based in 1997 when I left SLC, but I'm doubting that they'd try to keep that road open in the winter now.

The road that connects Park City is I-80 it is open year round there is a mountain pass up the canyon but it is dirt road only open in the summer time.

Its about a hour from PC to brighton and unless we get several feet of snow the I-80 pass over Parleys summit is always open.

Lodging was slim to non-existent at Brighton. We have stayed in Midvale @ Homewood Suites on previous visits.

Check out http://www.visitsaltlake.com/visit/ and http://www.saltlakecityutah.org/

Avoid "Quad Wednesday" at Brighton if they offer this season as it is too crowded.

If weather and time permits, would suggest Powder Mtn and Snowbasin if they have decent coverage / open terrain.

Thanks Folks! The pass is a dirt road with deep snow? Then the wife and kids can get out and push if they want to make turns at PC! :eek:

We're looking at a 4br house just below the Brighton slopes. Found the place thru VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner) One owner has a second house not listed for considerably less $$

On the drive in we will come into the area on 80, drop into SCL and then head east up to Brighton. I was thinking I might get to Brighton on the way in via PC but since the back way doesn't seem to be a sure thing it sounds best to just come around. Once we get here we'll be able to ask around to see if its passable but will not expect it.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Utah! I've done a bunch of the big name stuff, but with a bunch of kids along we are thinking of modest lodgings and 'family' resorts (read 'low $$')

[quote name=bjvircks;256522

On the drive in we will come into the area on 80' date=' drop into SCL and then head east up to Brighton. I was thinking I might get to Brighton on the way in via PC but since the back way doesn't seem to be a sure thing it sounds best to just come around. Once we get here we'll be able to ask around to see if its passable but will not expect it.

[/quote]

Pass is closed as soon as snow falls, I 80 is it unless there is no snow then.