Note to New Members ×

Madd 170 vs. volkl 173 vs. ???

tobrien8

I just started riding hardboots last year after 4 years of riding softboots. I had always been more focused on carving and freeriding so it was a pretty natural step. My previous setup was an Atomic Radon with binding angles varying between 15/20 and 25/30. Last year I started riding an old borrowed Sims FC161 and was hooked. However, the board always felt pretty soft and the SCR was so short that it was tough to carve at high speed.

I'm looking to buy a board used this year. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow for one of the fancy new metal boards as I still have one more year of college left. I'm 5'9 and weigh 165 lbs. I live in the midwest so I do a lot of my riding here, but I have also been able to make it out west for at least 2 weeks for the last couple of years.

The two boards that I've been looking at so far are the Madd 170 and the Volkl RT 173. I know the Madd is skinnier but what are the other differences in how they ride. I'm looking for a board that I can carve all over the mountain (or hill) and will allow me to develop my technique. I really like the looks of the Coiler AM but they don't come up very often in the classifieds and even less often is the flex anywhere close to correct. Any other suggestions on boards to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Volkl 173. Psst... it's metal! But more importantly it will be easier to transition from softies as you won't have to run as high angles, and it will be more stable. I believe it is also softer than the Madd, so more forgiving. The Madd is very skinny and thus quick edge to edge, and would feel very twitchy to a beginner carver.