Note to New Members ×

2009 World Championships of Slalom Skateboarding

wavechaser

July 17-18-19

USA, Oregon, Hood River

Presented by: SEISMIC, SK8KINGS, RADIKAL, Cascade Slalom, ISSA

Welcome to the 2009 World Championships of slalom skateboarding. This year's event will be held in beautiful Hood River Oregon, the site of last year's North American Championships.

This is a 3-day event consisting of: Giant Slalom, Hybrid Slalom and Tight Slalom, and featuring the top riders from around the world as they compete head-to-head for the title of World Champion.

SIGNUP - INFO: http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/Contests/2009WorldChampionship/

poster.jpg

Thanks for the reminder, I would like to make it down for at least one day of competition. Anyone else going?

The last salom race I attended was the first race in HR in many years (4 or five years ago). it was a total blast, met many legends. Kind of like alpine racing, top racers are happy to meet and chat. The first person I met was Henry Hester, setting course early that morning. Couldn't believe it, what a great day.

For those unfamiliar with the event, the GS will be a 90-120 second 1/2 mile long course on the Old Columbia Highway (Mosier Entrance). Most GS we do is 20-30 seconds. Leg burner special!

Brian is right. I f you ever wanted to learn some things about slalom racing and equipment setup, this is the place. MOST info is freely shared. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be pulling into Hood River around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday July 18. I'll be with 9 other sweaty bikers who have just finished <a href="http://www.bikesnbrew.com">Bikes 'n' Brew</a>; a 100-mile ride from Portland that stops at 4 breweries.

Our first stop in Hood River will be Double Mountain Brewing for drinks and dinner, then we'll head over the the slalom course to see if the comps are still going.

Any BOL'ers want to meet at Double Mountain around 4:30?

I'll be pulling into Hood River around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday July 18. I'll be with 9 other sweaty bikers who have just finished <a href="http://www.bikesnbrew.com">Bikes 'n' Brew</a>; a 100-mile ride from Portland that stops at 4 breweries.

Our first stop in Hood River will be Double Mountain Brewing for drinks and dinner, then we'll head over the the slalom course to see if the comps are still going.

Sounds like you are going to have a great day Dan!!! You will sleep well that night.

Do you guys shuttle home then? I am sure the town will be full of skaters waiting for the Sunday finals?

Start times and other important details here

Do you guys shuttle home then? I am sure the town will be full of skaters waiting for the Sunday finals?

Yep, we manage to sweet-talk enough of our friends, wives, and girlfriends into driving out to meet us in Hood River that we all have rides home to Portland. Some year when we're feeling particularly masochistic, maybe we'll stay in Hood River and bike home to Portland the next day. Not many breweries on the way home though. :-(

The "Racer Party" is acutally scheduled for Double Mountain later in the evening Saturday at Double Mountain, so it's more than likely that a one or two BOL'ers who are here for the race will be there then.

GS today was a blast. As predicted, I brought up the tail end of the amature's, but all of my skin is still intact. Wavechaser kicked butt and placed 7th...

Skully - cool to meet you and SK8 with you in Hood. Bet you got a lot better and learned a TON just over the weekend!!

The GS rocked!

I'm still pretty wiped out from the whole trip through CO and OR...very sweet!

-Rf

It was cool to meet you too Rick.

Walking up the GS course, I was pretty scared. :eek: After one run, I couldn't get enough of it. That was the most fun I've had on a skateboard in recent memory. Getting the opportunity to open it up on that road and not worry about anyone getting in my way made the whole trip worth it, Hybrid and Tight were icing on the cake.

I'm still wiped out, and my trip only lasted 4 days... :sleep: