Note to New Members ×

The Seismic 2009 U.S. National Championships of Slalom Skateboarding

wavechaser

Over 50 elite skateboard racers from throughout the U.S. and beyond will meet July 11 - 12 on Overlook Drive in Lafayette, Colorado, for the Seismic U.S. Nationals of Slalom Skateboarding – the highlight of the 2009 season of American skateboard slalom racing. Spectator admission is free.

Colorado is the epicenter of American skateboard slalom racing, and Overlook Drive is one of the best slalom hills in the nation – with smooth, grippy pavement, a consistent 9% grade, and double-wide lanes. Racers will reach up to 35 mph as they speed through twisting courses in both head-to-head and single-lane formats.

Champions in multiple divisions – Juniors, Amateurs, Masters and Professionals both male and female – will be crowned in four disciplines. Hybrid Slalom, Tight Slalom and Giant Slalom are traditional formats, but making its debut at the Nationals is SK8RCROSS – a mashup of slalom, downhill, boarder cross and roller derby. A unique starting mechanism will hurtle competitors onto the Giant Slalom and SKRCROSS courses on Sunday.

Overall titles will also be awarded to the combined champion of each division. Winners in the professional category will receive thousands of dollars in cash prizes.

Local skater Gary Fluitt won the overall title last year in California. His retirement from the Pro class leaves the door wide open for young slalom phenoms Martin Reaves, Zak Maytum, and Joe McLaren. But Jason Mitchell, George Pappas, and Chris Barker, all past champions, will attempt to school the youngsters one more time. It’s a clash of generations as the nation’s top racers face off.

For the third time since 2006, Colorado is hosting the U.S. Nationals and Boulder-based Seismic Skate Systems is serving as the Title Sponsor. Founded in 1993, Seismic manufactures advanced boards, wheels and trucks for high-performance longboarding, cruising, racing and beyond. Seismic products are sold through Specialty Retailers, Sporting Goods Retailers and Distributors worldwide.

2009nats_poster_sm.jpg

OFFICIAL WEBSITE - http://www.usnationals.coloradoslalom.org/Home.html

MAP - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Overlook+Drive%2C+Lafayette%2C+CO

FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195205015022&ref=ts

SIGNUP - http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registration.asp?ContestID=423

This event is now on my calendar to go check out!

Wave, are you coming out for this one?

Hope to see you there.

Ink

Sweet!

You bet - Open/Am division. Staying at Mitchell's place.

We'll likely be on the hill Friday evening practicing with the bungee start system, but not 100% sure yet.

-Rick

Cool, I'll look for you.

Kevin Delaney spent some time up there this past weekend training the hill. He will be back to defend his title from last year.

Ink

We'll see about that. ;-)

But since he's training on THE race hill, he better do well or I'll give him a rash of ****.

-R

• 2 weeks later...

Rick,

It was great to meet you and to watch you and the others ripping up those courses.

KarverKai (my 6yo son) and I got to do the "kiddie" course that Richie Rich set up and it was a blast. Afterward KK asked it we could get some cones. Who knows, this sl skating thing may be in our future. I will need to scope out suitable hills up near my house that we could run on and see if I could swing a good deal out of Bola.

Here is a quick vid of KarverKai in the cones

For the rest of you folks out there, if you haven't seen skaters running cones before I recommend checking out a local race or even some guys practicing. It is cool to see how fast their feet move.

Ink

Hey Rick,

How did you end up placing in each event and overall? I didn't get back Sunday so I haven't seen how it all shook out.

Ink

Ink - great to meet you...wish we'd had more time to hang and chat.

I got 5th in Hybrid, 6th in Tight and 8th in GS at Nats - good for 6th overall in Open/Am. That hill is easily the most consistently steep I've ever raced on. wish I'd had more time to dial in the GS bungee start.

At Worlds in Hood I was 7th in GS, 8th in Hybrid and 10th in Tight - 7th overall in Open/Am!!

This was all just a bonus on top of a killer 11-day SK8 vaca with some of my favorite people on the planet. I can't find words to truly express how lucky I feel to still be able to do this...amazing. :cool:

-RF