Note to New Members ×

MTB Frame Value

MEC

Anyone have a clue what an 18" Kona Score frame is worth these days? Other than the decals being scratched to s*#t, it is in perfect condition. (The fork and brakes are shot.) I'm thinking we could get at least $800 (maybe $1000?) for the frame, then my BF could buy a full suspension for his soon-to-be 40 year old ass. Before I call our local shop, I'm looking for some independent feedback. The local shop guys have been drooling over it for a while, so I want to milk them a bit if we can! :)

We're loathe to part with it, but considering what it would cost for a new fork, brakes, etc.... maybe it's the best thing to do?

Thoughts???

The frame was built by TiSport, they might be able to give you a price for a comparable frame.

http://www.titaniumsports.com/frames.html

Oh - that's a good idea, thank you! The google search just gave me some values for new frames, which is not what we have... and someone who mentioned he saw one go for over $1,000 on ebay a while back.

LOL, that $1000 mention was in 2005!

I'd think you'd have a hard time getting that much unless it was in exceptional condition. If the stickers are all scratched up and parts are worn, I'm doubtful that it's in perfect shape.

Titanium has a habit of seizing with parts like bottom brackets and seatposts unless anti-sieze compound is used, and even when it is used, you need to refresh it now and then. I had a heck of a time getting a BB out of a very well maintained ti roadie a few years ago because the installer hadn't used anti seize compound.

What fork, brakes and components are currently on the frame?

Take a pic and post it on mtbr like that first thread. Heck, post your pic in that first thread so viewers have a point of reference (the frame in the pic looks really nice).

And finally... a link to some other ti hardtails for sale (complete bikes, all):

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showcat.php?cat=4&stype=1&si=titanium&perpage=12&sort=1&stype=&limit=&cat=4&ppuser=

If it were me, I'd see tear down the frame, buff and polish it out, get a new sticker kit from Kona and then see what it's worth. Sounds like the parts are throw away?

I'm guessing $500 for a SWAG valuation.

LOL, that $1000 mention was in 2005!

I'd think you'd have a hard time getting that much unless it was in exceptional condition. If the stickers are all scratched up and parts are worn, I'm doubtful that it's in perfect shape.

Titanium has a habit of seizing with parts like bottom brackets and seatposts unless anti-sieze compound is used, and even when it is used, you need to refresh it now and then. I had a heck of a time getting a BB out of a very well maintained ti roadie a few years ago because the installer hadn't used anti seize compound.

What fork, brakes and components are currently on the frame?

Take a pic and post it on mtbr like that first thread. Heck, post your pic in that first thread so viewers have a point of reference (the frame in the pic looks really nice).

Yeah, I know, it was an old post. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on the matter... Re the fork and other components, I'll have to look at it tonight when I get home and update you tomorrow... I can't remember since it's not my bike, but honestly, the fork is dead and so are the brakes. I doubt they are worth a penny. The frame itself is not damaged, and still produces copious amounts of drool when seen by other bikers. Our thought was to strip it completely (removing the icky stickers) and sell it completely bald. Unless the local shop boys want it, then we'd just give it to them as is.

And finally... a link to some other ti hardtails for sale (complete bikes, all):

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showcat.php?cat=4&stype=1&si=titanium&perpage=12&sort=1&stype=&limit=&cat=4&ppuser=

If it were me, I'd see tear down the frame, buff and polish it out, get a new sticker kit from Kona and then see what it's worth. Sounds like the parts are throw away?

I'm guessing $500 for a SWAG valuation.

(We're post-crossing.) So, yes, if we do strip it and sell it, you're thinking only $500? Oy, at that we'd probably just keep it since he still loves the way it rides. When we win the lotto he could then rebuild it. He paid $1600 (or $1800?) for it new, in 1998 or 99, I believe.

I guess I'll wait to hear back from TiSports before we take it apart and let the local shop boys know it's available. I really don't want to hassle with listing it on eBay, since if it actually sells with a high reserve, that means we have to ship it somewhere. I'm too lazy to deal with that :o.

Yeah, if it's that old... I just don't see it being worth much more than $500, especially if it's in "beat" condition. 60-75% depreciation on a ten year old bike is par for the course, especially with

No warranty

well ridden

old school geometry (those frames are set up around short-travel forks rather than the 120mm+ longer travel forks that are in vogue today).

But that doesn't mean you can't go ask you local shoprats for a grand and see what they say!