Note to New Members ×

The Masters

utahcarver

You know, I'm not a golfer anymore. After rotator cuff surgery a few summers back, I had to stop being a swinger and had to settle for being a putter. I wasn't much of a golfer to begin with. I'd golf with the boss when necessary but, I just never caught on to swinging a club and being dedicated to it.

We've all heard the jokes about watching golf on TV. How boring it is, like watching paint dry. But, today I was riveted to the TV watching The Masters from Augusta, Georgia. I know I'm just finding out how talented this group of golfers are but, it was astounding to watch the high level of play. I thought they should have given more air time to (Angel) Cabrera who, though faltering at times, was riveting to watch. Instead, the focus was on Woods and Mickelson who, deservedly so, kept advancing on the leader board. And this Kenny Perry, somebody better watch out for him, too. This guy was amazing and had the putt of the tournament.

Anyway, I'm sure you duffers out there are much better in tune with golf than I'll ever be but, coming from a disinterested party like myself, I sat in amazement at these pros and the level of play they gave the gallery. It makes me think of our sport and me (and hopefully others) wanting to ride at a higher level and keep progressing through the seasons. It makes me want to be a better rider and maybe, go hit a bucket of balls again.

Mark

Masters is always a great tourney to watch..Congrats to the first Argentine to win, Wonderful playoff watching Angle go in the woods and play aggressive and par the hole.

On a bit of a side note.. My men's club had our Masters this weekend too. We play from the back Tees - not a big deal at Echo Falls - it is a short course.. anyway .. I was playing well - sunk some long putts for 3 birdies for the day. Was only 3 over par going into hole 17 -- let the mental crap get the best of me a took a 9 on hole 18. Put me out of the money finishers.. Crapolla! :smashfrea:smashfrea

Too bad Perry and Campbell lost it rather than Cabrera winning it. Imagine his thoughts on the first playoff hole after hitting the tree on the second shot. I'm sure he thought he was done.

I was rooting for Perry since he's a year older than me. Gives me hope that my game can improve still.

And Tiger hitting that tree square. That was right out of one of my Saturday afternoons.

That was tough to watch! It was like watching the wheels come off on that shot.
Loved it! Spray it right, bounce it off a tree, we've all been there.

I usually golf with my Dad, and whenever one of us is really struggling (which is pretty much every round), we'll say "well, Jack took a 10", referring to that British Open a few years back when Nicklaus just couldn't get out of a pot bunker.

Now I guess we can say "well, Tiger hit a tree".

That was a really fun tournament to watch. I felt bad for Perry though, he was so steady up until that last couple of holes.

When the going gets tough, I think of these guys.

* Tom Weiskopf took a 13 on the par-3 12th at Augusta National during the 1980 Masters.

* In 2005, Billy Casper recorded a 14 on the par-3 No. 16 at Augusta National during The Masters.

* Porky Oliver took 16 on a par-3 at the Bing Crosby Pro-Am in 1954.

* The highest single-hole score we can find a record of in a non-major PGA Tour event: John Daly (which somehow doesn't seem surprising) took 18 on the par-5 No. 6 hole in the final round of the 1998 Bay Hill Invitational. Daly kept going for the green and kept hitting it into the water - six times, total.

* The highest single-hole score we can find a record of in the U.S. Open (the USGA also does not keep this record officially): Ray Ainsley scored a 19 on the par-4 No. 16 hole at Cherry Hills Country Club in 1938.

When the going gets tough, I think of these guys.

* Tom Weiskopf took a 13 on the par-3 12th at Augusta National during the 1980 Masters.

* In 2005, Billy Casper recorded a 14 on the par-3 No. 16 at Augusta National during The Masters.

* Porky Oliver took 16 on a par-3 at the Bing Crosby Pro-Am in 1954.

* The highest single-hole score we can find a record of in a non-major PGA Tour event: John Daly (which somehow doesn't seem surprising) took 18 on the par-5 No. 6 hole in the final round of the 1998 Bay Hill Invitational. Daly kept going for the green and kept hitting it into the water - six times, total.

* The highest single-hole score we can find a record of in the U.S. Open (the USGA also does not keep this record officially): Ray Ainsley scored a 19 on the par-4 No. 16 hole at Cherry Hills Country Club in 1938.

Skate: A 19 on a par-4? Hell, I've got that one beat....

Also, no mention of John Daly and how many beers consumed prior to a major tourney: _____?

A. Six pack

B. Case (24)

C. Keg

D. Everything the bar had on tap, bottles and cans.

E. All of the above!

Mark