Note to New Members ×

Canadian Snowboard Nationals

yyzcanuck

The results are slow to be posted on the FIS site because the CSF uses out dated software and all the info must be entered by a person. Most countries use software which auto synches with the timing software and you can send the results directly to FIS for them to upload, but the CSF does it a bit old school.

From the CSF press release HERE:

PRESS RELEASE – For immediate release

ANDERSON AND LOO WIN PARALLEL GIANT SLALOM AT SNOWBOARD NATIONALS

(Mont-Tremblant, Québec – March 31, 2009) Local rider Jasey-Jay Anderson and Alexa Loo of Richmond, BC, won the parallel giant slalom race at the 2009 Canadian Snowboard Nationals today in Mont-Tremblant, Québec.

“I had the luck of the draw today. I had the slower course first and the fastest second, so I could almost done whatever I wanted in the second run to advance. I am pretty stoked on that. There was a big field today with lots of good North American riders. I was happy to be consistent enough to win in front of my kids and family,” said Anderson, who posted the fastest qualifying time in the morning.

“I had a disadvantage going into the finals, so I knew I had to have a really good runs and limit the amount of mistakes I made. Everything I had hoped for happened,” continued Anderson.

Matthew Morison of Burketon, ON took the second place in the Men’s Big Finals. Morison qualified in second place after Anderson and easily made his way to the gold medal round.

Chris Klug of the United States of America defeated Toronto’s Michael Lambert in the bronze medal dual.

In women’s riding, Canadian snowboard team Alexa Loo fought the rough snow conditions to defeat Caroline Calvé in the Big Finals for the gold medal, defending her title as Canadian Champion.

“I am super excited to have won and to have held onto my title of Canadian champion. The snow conditions were super rough today. It wasn’t textbook pretty riding. It was a good fight with lots of spills and worked out ok. The organizing committee did a great job to make the best possible course. The more they worked on it, the better it got as the day went on,” said Alex Loo.

“For me being Canadian Champion is pretty good especially this year because the girls stepped up quite a bit. To come out on top of all these girls is pretty good. Caroline was second in a world cup just last week, so to beat her today feels pretty good. She was for sure my toughest competitor today.”

American Lindsey Loyd took home the bronze medal, edging Ekatarina Zavialova of Calgary, AB at the finish line.

COMPLETE RESULTS

Now, if we could only see the races on tv. We have hundreds of sport channels in NA, why can't someone cover it?

A bit of publicity would be nice for the sport.

Anyone know what happened on Jade Depont's (19th place) run?

Any ppl posting videos on YouTube?

Thanks,

wish I was there...

Now, if we could only see the races on tv. We have hundreds of sport channels in NA, why can't someone cover it?

A bit of publicity would be nice for the sport.

Anyone know what happened on Jade Depont's (19th place) run?

Any ppl posting videos on YouTube?

Thanks,

wish I was there...

Cause darts and poker are easier and cheaper to cover and pulls in about the same viewership.

Guest Boardbum

Just got back from sbx at Tremblant. I must give the volunteers credit for getting the race in considering the bad weather and very little snow. But can anyone tell me why they only had one qualifying run for finals. There was plenty of time to have two runs. Last year they cut the men to 16 for finals. It seems to me that at a National Championship they should try their best to do it right. :AR15firin

The race jury decided to only do one run due to the course conditions. The course conditions went down hill very fast and they wanted to limit the number of runs in order to prevent more rocks from poking through in the thin spots and to keep the chatter and braking bumps to a minamum.

This decision was made to make the event BETTER for the athletes in the finals. It was not made because the organizer were lazy and wanted to get off the hill sooner.

Did you see how bumpy and chewed up the course was after the event? Now add an additional 100 athatles through it.

Being there as a coach I would have liked to have two runs in qualis because one of my key riders made a big mistake in thier run. BUT it I was the organizer looking at what is best in the big picture taking in account ALL athletes I would have made the same call as they did.

You continue to bring up last years event where they cut the feild to 16. Remember the fog they had and the delays because of it? If they cut to 32 and had more delays because of the fog and ran out of time they could not just pack up, run the final heats the next day. The event would have either not scored or they would have had to strat all over the next day, this is not in the best interest of the riders. Cutting the field to 16 ensured that the event would happen and that all the riders who attened would actually get a result instead of wasting their time and money to go to an event that was officiall cancelled because they ran out of time in the finals.

Last year the event TD was Tom Winters, he is the head of ALL TD's in North America (yes that includes the ski TD's). He has been on official at ALL the snowboard Olympics. When he makes a decision to change the program of an event there is a legit reason for it. This years TD was Mike Mallon, he has been a TD at multiple World Cup events and this years World Champs. He is comes from a coaching background and is still in charge of SMS's snowboard programs. The athletes are the priority in EVERY decision he makes at events he is involved in.

If he had no passion for the sport or the athletes then the SBX at Tremblant would NOT have even happened. It was him who rallied everyone to work above and beyond in order to get the course ready on race day. The lost about 8 inches of snow over night this cause ALL the B-Net to melt out, and caused many patches of mud, rocks, and grass to show that previously was hidden. The snow was too soft to get a cat in without making things worse so they HAND dug snow to fill in the thin spots. This took about 50 or more people about 3 hours of hard work to get the course ready to race on. The priority was protecting the surface so that they could even have a course to run finals on.

When conditions are not ideal you as an event organizer you have choices to make many times in order to even have an event at all you have to make decisions that not all will like, or you can "do it right", as you put it, and have an event that sucks for all.

The Tremblant crew managed long week of challenges.

The day before the PGS event, the run was unskiable with 8 inches of "mashed potatoes" due to heavy rain. Again, it was impossible for a snowcat to groom the run. They bet on a freezing night to groom at midnight and the following morning, they poured fertilizer to settle the snow. The slipping crew with 15-20 skiers was very busy during all-day for 2 days, sometimes slipping the run every 2 riders.

The PGS/PSL racers were able to have a clean & ICY runs, just like they love. Just outside were banks of supersoft melting snow, small mistake outside the trajectory were penalizing heavily riders, but everybody was aware...and it was Tuesday & Wednesday conditions.

Tremblant Team succeeded to have 90 volunteers for the PGS/PSL course for mid-week days ! Congrats !! :biggthump

Guest Boardbum

Phil thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I no how bad it was, but as a former coach many moons ago and a relative of a competitor and listening to other athletes, people thought why not cut down the practice time on the course to allow for two qualifiers. I get the impression most would rather get two qualifiers. The practice time is nice but not if it is going to take away from the qualifiers

Guest Boardbum
They DID cut the practice to only ONE run per rider for the SBX. You can't really cut more than that.

They originally had 2 runs scheduled but the conditions just did NOT allow them to do it unless they wanted to put the event in serious jepordy.

Well all I can say Phil. I was there watching a team from Alberta and some of the boarders that I was paying attention to had 3-4 runs before the qualifiers. It was them that brought it up when we were out that evening.

No way they got 4 practice runs, if they did they did an amazing job of poaching and THEY were part of the problem then. It was announced before inspection that everyone was to do one inspection and one training run in order to keep the track is good condition. If these riders were caught taking more than one training run they could have been DQ, and to me I would consider them cheating. Training was only open for less than 45 min, I don't see how it's possible to get 4 runs in that amount of time considering the line up and log jam at the start. I could see some riders poaching their second run, but like I said these riders should have been DQed for doing so, because it gives them an unfair advantage that others didn't have.