Note to New Members ×

29th of March

Arclite

I just need a dedicated carver that can handle the ice in the early morning, and the Tanker isn't it. Also, i want a shorter board, something less than 170cm, like around 165cm would be nice. That, and i want to try this tit-anal metal junk that everyone is talking about...

So, i figure i want a board that has

-one of those new shapes

-around 165cm (would probably be better in bumps and easier for when I'm not driving up to the mountain...)

-around 22.5 to 23cm wide (i like less than 58 degree stance angles - 54/52 on my Tanker right now)

-around 11.5-12m scr

-made for my 5'9" 143lbs

Well for those who don't know yet, I'm saving up for a Coiler.

And I like those specs.....except for the width...I'd like nothing above 21.5

And the flex...im 5'10 ish 150-160

Any ideas? And price range would be around 900 right? including shipping with custom topsheet... And also I've wanted to try the F2 Ti race intecs....

That might be a good combination :biggthump

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for those who don't know yet, I'm saving up for a Coiler.

And I like those specs.....except for the width...I'd like nothing above 21.5

And the flex...im 5'10 ish 150-160

Any ideas? And price range would be around 900 right? including shipping with custom topsheet... And also I've wanted to try the F2 Ti race intecs....

That might be a good combination :biggthump

My advice would be the Schtubby 171. Unless you're planning on using your Coiler for moguls like Albert, go with the longer board.

My advice would be the Schtubby 171. Unless you're planning on using your Coiler for moguls like Albert, go with the longer board.

Screw moguls, I'm just tired of icy mornings and I hear titanal kicks ice's asses.

And the schtubby seems like a nice one that I can use pretty much all day.

Any advice on which one though? like x2 x3 x4 etc...

Screw moguls, I'm just tired of icy mornings and I hear titanal kicks ice's asses.

And the schtubby seems like a nice one that I can use pretty much all day.

Any advice on which one though? like x2 x3 x4 etc...

I'd recommend the Schtubby X2: 171 x 20 or 21 x 13.2 x 6mm. Mine has the 20 cm waist.

Check out the post where Bruce explains the differences between his new board models (post #28).

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21107

Julian:

Schtubby X1 was 161/14m with a 21? waist I think

X2 is The Erwinator's board, and generally what people have when they say Stub

X3 is the lunchtray, check out Dr. D's posts, he has one

X4 is the Arrow, *Ace* has the only one

X5 is a big, naked, wide, stubbier Monster

Then there are variants on the X2 like the Michaud Schtub (don't recall what's so special), the Turnstub like Bob Dea's board which has an 11m radius and is a 171 but with the hammerhead shape, Nekdut stub which is more like the original, but still a twintip, and then there are the tail radius stubs which aren't twintips, but share specs with normal stubs.

Don't quote me on any of the numbers..

Oh, and don't buy the Stubby. It's old garbage, and it's a waste of time and you're slowing the advancement of the sport. It's not even worth its weight in ****. Am I doing it right Erwin? ;)

X4 Arrow:

post-7057-141842279679_thumb.jpg

post-7057-141842279681_thumb.jpg

Julian:

Oh, and don't buy the Stubby. It's old garbage, and it's a waste of time and you're slowing the advancement of the sport. It's not even worth its weight in ****. Am I doing it right Erwin? ;)

That's right. According to the resident WC racer (Bordy), the only boards worth riding are whatever Prior shapes Bordy happens to be pimping at the moment, Kesslers and the Coiler NSR. But don't buy from Coiler, because you wouldn't be supporting the "industry".

In addition, whatever advice you've read from the BOL tech articles is also outdated crap (I didn't follow that technique anyway:p). If you ever want to get out of the intermediate rut, hire a coach that teaches the up-to-date technique, quit your day job, and train 5 days a week.

Damn, this hobby is getting expensive.

[serious]Erwin, do y'all think I've gotten good enough on them carvy sticks for a Madd 158?[/serious]

I don't know though, it ain't got no metal or no rocker!

I've never ridden a 185 cm board, but I would guess that you will be able to carve better on a Madd 158 compared to your stiff-as-hell 185cm longboard.

So yes, you've got the SKILLZ to carve on a Madd 158.

Hmmm..I don't have a hard time on my board anymore (all my EVER sexy pictures were me riding that board)..I remember at JPMCS I kept getting bucked, I told Aaron that I felt like the tail was popping me too much, he said "Don't get on the tail so much" DOH! Problem solved. Now the only problem is when I make tight turns..I've gotten so used to stretching em out and having this ungodly stability, it startles me!

I've heard the 158 is a bad ride if you're not on top of it all the time. I'm not on top of keeping fresh eye-juice in my contact lens case, let alone my snowboarding. :lol:

Also, the non-metal Priors are really cheap, $430. I'm a little disappointed with the longevity of my board, but it was a protoype (expectations for durability weren't high) and only 250 clams. I figure I could take it to a table saw and it still woulda been $10 bucks a day to ride it, but I got much more enjoyment out of it than that, and it's still kickin!

Waitta second, why am I taking advice from you, telling me I can ride a Madd. You're just trying to hold me and the whole sport back! Terrorist!

I've heard the 158 is a bad ride if you're not on top of it all the time. I'm not on top of keeping fresh eye-juice in my contact lens case, let alone my snowboarding. :lol:

That might have been true for the original Madds. The 3rd generation Madd that I owned, then sold to George, was user friendly. At least as user-friendly as an 18cm wide board can be.

The 3rd gen Madds had a green sidewall.

That might have been true for the original Madds. The 3rd generation Madd that I owned, then sold to George, was user friendly. At least as user-friendly as an 18cm wide board can be.

I agree that the Madd is user friendly, I rode it all day on the Sunday that

I bought it and it felt great. I love narrow boards! Too bad I have big feet.

Enough already! The answer to finding the right board is simple: anything in f2’s carving inventory. Enough said. :)

I like that theory :biggthump

But none the less.....

X4 or X2.....i got time to decide :smashfrea

And i thought that it was a custom board so custom specs?

X4 or X2.....i got time to decide :smashfrea

And i thought that it was a custom board so custom specs?

I've started my emails with Bruce. I'm on time for December '09 :eek:

Might not have as much time as you think... hehe

Anyway, he said we can discuss exact details later. It is custom, but you don't want to do something completely radical. I figure go with sort of what's established and fine tune from there as well as getting Bruce's input...

I've started my emails with Bruce. I'm on time for December '09 :eek:

Might not have as much time as you think... hehe

Anyway, he said we can discuss exact details later. It is custom, but you don't want to do something completely radical. I figure go with sort of what's established and fine tune from there as well as getting Bruce's input...

his email would be...?

And the turn stub seems almost what i need...except i want a 21.5 waist...

29 for me, your dad is 29.5 right?

My dad is a staggering 31.

Considering George is about the size I was in 4th or 5th grade, he's got skis for feet. It would be fun to trade boards for a run. I just measured the Coiler's camber today, 3/4 of an inch! You might get it down to a half inch when you're standing on it!

This might be the first weekend I'll miss all season. Got my Head Monster M77 carving skis in today.

Julian: One thing to remember, any of the aspects can be changed more or less for free. It's not a production board, it's custom!

I went Friday and carved at Snow Summit in the morning, then rode the park/pipe at Bear in the afternoon.

SS was pretty much boilerplate in the morning; but still carvable and fun (but definitely challenging). Conditions started to soften at 11:00, and got really fun around noon.

Went to Bear after 1:00. Superpipe and park was in good condition. Conditions were just right, soft but not slushy.

I'm sure you guys will get more of the same on Sunday. I hope we still have decent conditions when I get back from the midwest.

Good to hear Erwin. Maybe i should mount up the Donek. It'll probably be much better on the Ice.

Also, I'm a 50% show for tomorrow now, guys. I'm at work right now and need to be at work again tomorrow.

I'll see how i'm feeling. I just might go boarding early tomorrow then go to work for 5 hours after that.

Good to hear Erwin. Maybe i should mount up the Donek. It'll probably be much better on the Ice.

I say bring both. It will probably stay "boilerplate" long enough to try out both:p

The Doneks I've had (stock FC2 162 and custom Olympic FC2 165) aren't that good on ice, when compared to the Schtubby or Madd 158. Part of the problem was that the Doneks were too stiff for me on ice.

Yesterday's morning conditions is exactly why I bought the Madd, then the Schtubby.