Note to New Members ×

Jumping & carving

NateW

I have already ordered another camera mount. Two, actually.

Love it Nate! Hope you don't mind if I embed your video for the lazy folks among us.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJuvqmqsU0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJuvqmqsU0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What mount were you using, suction or stick-on? Home depot sells some super sticky 3M foam-ish tape which is what I've used on my vids and it holds on really well. Granted I'm not jumping.

Love it Nate! Hope you don't mind if I embed your video for the lazy folks among us.

What mount were you using, suction or stick-on? Home depot sells some super sticky 3M foam-ish tape which is what I've used on my vids and it holds on really well. Granted I'm not jumping.

Thanks for embedding it!

That was with the suction mount, it holds very well, but it broke right below the camera. It worked fine when mounted closer to the binding (for the forward-facing shots) but putting it out by the nose is harder on it... if the tail lands first, the nose comes down with a smack. You might have noticed that the angle on the rear-facing shots changed a bit when I landed a couple other jumps too.

New mounts are only $30, I ordered two and will be more careful with them. :)

Thanks for embedding it!

That was with the suction mount, it holds very well, but it broke right below the camera. It worked fine when mounted closer to the binding (for the forward-facing shots) but putting it out by the nose is harder on it... if the tail lands first, the nose comes down with a smack. You might have noticed that the angle on the rear-facing shots changed a bit when I landed a couple other jumps too.

New mounts are only $30, I ordered two and will be more careful with them. :)

The gopro guys suggested using the stick on surfboard mount. Of course it's not portable.

I've just been using the little flat stick on mounts (with new sticky tape when I remount) and the camera hasn't dismounted except for the time that I tried to reuse the sticky tape. A roll of the tape was $6 or so at Home Depot. I bought it to remount a stomp pad, and that's been going strong for at least 10 days on the snow.

I think my boards are stiff enough that won't be an issue. The mount only came off when the support arm bent down, pushing on the level that holds the suction cup suctioned.

However, if I don't clear the knuckle on a jump (which was a problem on Wednesday as the snow was pretty slow), the impact of landing is pretty harsh. Even when I did clear the knuckle, if the tail touches down first, the nose gets slapped down pretty hard, which presses the camera down hard, and pushes the camera forward too.

With the camera mounted next to the binding it wasn't a problem, but with the camera mounted way forward, it was a problem. You might notice how in the rearward-facing shots the angle changes on the landings, while in the forward-facing shots there's no problem at all.

I'm trying to figure if I can use the busted mount plus a new mount to create a triangular mount with two supports, to better cope with fore-aft shocks. Not real optimistic about attaching the 2nd mount to the camera housing, but if I can support the camera that way it should be very solid.

Any attempts at a boot mount? Would be cool to see the shell flex!

I think ultimately the best thing is to find a race board with Hangl inserts, run normal plates on it, and then make an adapter to go from the M6(?) on the Hangl to whichever tripod mount thread is on the bottom of your weapon of choice. It won't break, you have several different mounting points, and most importantly, it can't move.