Note to New Members ×

'just a heads up' on Head Boots with BTS

jp1

jp1 - makes sense. If I "match drill" the cuff to the BTS, I take out tolerances from boot to boot. I'll try that.

"4 Blizzaks Baby" - do you run 4 Blizzaks on a FWD, RWD or 4WD? My last FWD car had Blizzaks and they worked great. My newer car has some cheap off-brand snow tires and they aren't nearly as grippy.

Next season - 4 Blizzaks for me too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm on my 3rd FWD vehicle with Blizzaks (4) all around :biggthump & won't change until I'm sold there is something better.

When I find something I like :) I stick with it ..........................

I had people tell me :smashfrea years ago, "you need separate winter tires and summer tires". I thought All Season Tires were fine :eek:UNTIL I started using the Blizzaks! Now it's 2 sets of wheels and tires or :nono: nothing for me.

Us too. We have 3 cars with summer & winter tires on separate wheels. Takes me about 1/2 hour twice a year to swap each out. It's like owning 2 pairs of shoes. You don't save any money by owning only one set at a time.

There's no substitute for good winter tires. They don't last long but they sure grip well. 4WD allows you to go well but doesn't steer or stop any better than bad tires on 2WD. The worst case condition is when someone w/4WD thinks traction is fine until they try to stop or steer & find that they can't. Heading west on I-70 out of Denver on a snowy morning we often see 4WDs upside down in the ditch.

oldacura," I wouldn't have thought that an LED flashlight would shine through 2 thicknesses of black plastic but I'll give it a try."

My boots are Orange, but I didn't think it would work either, but tried it and it did!

I just started on another pair of HSP for a friend. Figuring I would take some pictures this time around for reference, I was :eek: 'shocked' when I went to shine the LED Flashlight through the plastic to get a picture !! (NO light !?)

I lied above when I said my boots are Orange! My boots are actually the Head Stratos (not Pros) and they are Orange / Smoke Gray (sort of transparent gray). While the light does shine through the Transparent Gray real nice :biggthump, it doesn't even come close :( on the HSP Orange! I did do the Modifications on another friends HSP's that were all Black, but he didn't want the BTS installed, so I don't know :confused: if it would shine through them or not, but after seeing it on the Orange, I doubt seriously it.

I did find a better way :biggthump to 'shim' the BTS for clearance, I used (4) thicknesses of 1" masking tape (.020"), but it wont do any good :AR15firin if the light don't shine through.

So for this pair, I'm basically in the same boat as you. I used the dimensions I stated above to locate the centerline of the pins, I'll drill them out tonight along with doing the cutting & grinding for the Modifications.

Just wanted to let everyone know about the 'LED deal', before someone called BS :eplus2: to it !!

Boots done (BTS & Mods.) and shipped. The Orange plastic is the worst I've done to date. I've done the Smoke and Black, and the Orange is the 'funkiest' to work with. The Black was the easiest to work with. The Orange easily clogs sanding drums and sanding discs, drills likes it extremly soft, so be careful when working with it.