Note to New Members ×

Halpipe Technique

DjulezD

Ok, it may be off-topic, but I just ended up in the superpipe at Okemo the other day and found it cool. It was the end of the day and the snow was waay too soft to carve on my alpine board anyway.

I had never been in the pipe on a snowboard before. But it's all about carving up the wall, right ? Plus I used to ride in pipes on roller-skates so it was no news.

But... I realized I didn't know how to drop, and land the aerials, so I ended up jumping on the platform not knowing what to do or doing jerky handplants.

Anybody can point me to a good place for technical advice, vids on half-pipe/superpipe ? I would just like to know how to turn and land basic aerial turns and basic rotations.

Yes, I can get at the lip, but then I finish my air on the platform. If I understand you correctly, you should start a turn at the middle of the way to the lip, have the apex in the air and finish at above the same height you started the turn on the wall. You don't go straight to the lip as you would in skateboard ?

Sounds like you need to get used to the idea of being horizontal, with your feet at the same height as your head. This can be hard to get used to.

Just go to the lip and turn, then go to the lip and turn with a bit of an unweighting move just to get your feet off the surface.

Next, try just going barely above the lip. If you do it in small steps, you'll avoid the big shock of air that gets your brain looking for the safety of being vertical in your body.

You will for sure change edges. The speed sensations will be a bit different during the turn as the flat base phase is not in the path of gravity, so you won't really feel any acceleration until you're coming down the wall, but that's not a big deal.