Note to New Members ×

Schweitzer/Silver

k_t

Nice! Now I may not feel so bad about missing opening day at my favorite little spot in Idaho.

I have only been to Schweitzer once (about 7 years ago) so if you don’t mind, fill me in on what chairs you usually ride or where you meet up in the AM so that there is some hope of finding you guys. That is of course they open as scheduled. I will most likely not be there Thursday but would ride on Friday and /or Saturday.

Guest jeremiah

Just out of curiosity, what little Idaho mountain is your favorite? I'll be visiting my parents over New Years, and I think we'll be heading to Brundage, but may make a sidetrip. I've also got to make a side trip to Jackson Hole to finalize wedding stuff, and would certainly consider trying one of the mountains in Eastern Idaho if they're worth a trip. (I've skiied/snowboarded Bogus Basin, Brundage, Schweitzer, Sun Valley, Soldier, Kelly Canyon, and Lost Trail, just hoping to find a new, cheap place to play when I'm out there.)

Jeremiah

WOW! I thought that I was the only one who had been to Kellys Canyon on this website. I've never seen another carver up there. I go to Kellys a couple times a year, my sister livesin the small town of Ririe,15 minutes away. Anothe option you have to try is Grand Targhee, if you are heading to Jackson Hole then Targhee is not too far away. G.T. had what looked like to be good carving terrain, although I was on skis that day.

Guest jeremiah

I haven't been to Kelly in a long, LONG time. Let's just say I was on skis with cable bindings, and all I really remember is falling off the chair lift and regaining consciousness to some lady yelling at me to suck it up and just ski down.

Jeremiah

Originally posted by jeremiah

Just out of curiosity, what little Idaho mountain is your favorite?

Jeremiah

Brundage is my favorite little mountain in ID. Bogus can get good during the week but it's grooming is unpredictable, and when its bad, its bad. Brundage has the best snow quality in the NW and some great grooming. It is not unusual to have 3 to 5+ out on alpine gear. When it snows the powder is great too. If you think that you will get to Brundage, drop me a line off line and I will give you all of my contact #'s.

Guest jeremiah

KT--I think I'll be at Brundage Jan 1-3. My parents have a condo in McCall, and they're planning on doing New Years at Brundage. I have to do wedding planning stuff in Jackson Hole on the 29th and 30th (hopefully riding the 30ths), but would be interested in hooking up with other carvers at Brundage if anyone will be there.

Of course if there is good powder, I may break out the softboots and play in the deep instead.

My folks are starting their first season as Ski Patrol at Bogus, so I'll start getting on them about grooming, not that it will do much good. It's very hard to run a ski resort as a non-profit, espeically one without any lodging and $200 season passes.

Jeremiah

Originally posted by jeremiah

KT--I think I'll be at Brundage Jan 1-3. My parents have a condo in McCall, and they're planning on doing New Years at Brundage.

Some of us should be there. Check your email for all of my contact info.

Of course if there is good powder, I may break out the softboots and play in the deep instead.

If pow is the thing, then I will chase or lead you around on teles.

My folks are starting their first season as Ski Patrol at Bogus, so I'll start getting on them about grooming, not that it will do much good. It's very hard to run a ski resort as a non-profit, espeically one without any lodging and $200 season passes.

I have only been skiing and riding at Bogus for the last 26 years and I think it is safe to say that I know enough.

BTW they have lodging (condos) and operate the food service, rental shop, ski tuning, lease packages sponsered by Rosi, and hard and soft goods sales.

Jeremiah

Don't think the $200 season pass sale is hurting them. Up until the $200 was first offered to the public, their price was as comparable to any other resort. They were just the first resort to offer the deal (soon copied by other areas) as a test marketing idea and realized immediately that when they sold 25,000 plus passes they could capitalize on a great cash flow. This $200 pass is what has generated the funds for all of the improvements over the last few years (2 new high speed quads, additional chair upgrades, a few new runs, lodge expansion, new Nordic center although most of the center was donated time and material, expanded parking, just to name a few). How this deal works is $200 just before the end of the season, (sometime in March with the sale ending usually at the end of April) good for the following season. Great way to get investment money for the improvements. And I have to say a good idea is worth coping. More smaller areas are doing and should do this sort of thing.

Ridden Kelly Canyon several times. In-laws live in Idaho Falls and I occasionally stay up there for a weekend (live in UT). Get some strange looks when I skate up to the lift on my alpine rig. Not a lot of mountain (if it can be called that) to ride, but usually very few people and very cheap. About a half a dozen carves or so from the top of the main lift and you're ready for another ride up! 173 is about as long as I would ride there. I think they open mid-December.