Note to New Members ×

Headphones for riding

BryanZ

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I thought how over the top, but if it works - awesome. Then I read the bit about elec. engineer and it makes more sense - still awesome.
You should see the soldering that our engineering tech does on all of our prototype boards (I totally suck compared to him). You'd be amazed what a man with a soldering iron can achieve under a microscope.
I have the JBL creature system for my computer. It has the little touch controls on one of the tweeters for volume. I touched it one day and had a big static shock and now I have no volume control. :angryfire
Interesting. Usually those types of touch controls are capacitive and work exactly like the touchpad on a laptop. I've never heard of one of those being zapped.

In my experience in debugging electronics that I didn't design, 99% of the time it's a bad connection or a cold solder joint. If you have the confidence, go ahead and take it apart and examine all connectors and their solder joints closely. Do an image search on Google for "cold solder joint" if you're unsure what to look for. If you find one, reflow some solder onto it, put things back together, and try it out!

If that doesn't work, call tech support. Even having to pay JBL to fix it might be better in the long run. ...and you might get lucky and they'll fix it for free!

new ipod shuffle.

:1luvu:

I agree, those little things are sweet. No doubt I tried to figure out a way to make one of those work for me. In the end, the smaller storage space is what ruled out the shuffle for me.

In my case, I was going for a completely no compromise system. Large storage capacity, isolating IEMs, and the microphone lets me have my cake and eat it, too. ...at the expense of spending an entire weekend designing and building it, and then modifying my jacket so it fits.