Note to New Members ×

Coin collectors?

photodad2001

I came across this coin while doing some re-organizing of some closet space. I've had the coin for about 15 years personally and recieved it from a friend who had had it for some time. The origin is Chinese, but searching the intraweb I couldn't find an exact match. I searched modern and current Chinese coins and also antique/ancient (I know the coin can't be more than 50 years old) Anyway, the closest thing I could find was a "Fen", but there were no 10 Fen coins only 1, 2, and 5, and one site had a 20 fen. I know the value of the coin is more than likely going to be less than 3 American dollars, just curious because I gave it to my daughter and she wanted to know all about it. See the pictures below.

Edit: I'm 99% sure the coin is copper if that helps and it's about the size of quarter only smooth around the diameter.

post-6711-141842275089_thumb.jpg

post-6711-141842275091_thumb.jpg

Not Chinese, that's a Japanese 10-yen coin. Face value is about 11 cents, don't know if that particular one has any collector's value.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_yen_coin

--------------------

Edited to add: it's a 1989 (Year 1 of the Heisei era), so probably no value as a collector's piece.

Not Chinese, that's a Japanese 10-yen coin. Face value is about 11 cents, don't know if that particular one has any collector's value.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_yen_coin

--------------------

Edited to add: it's a 1989 (Year 1 of the Heisei era), so probably no value as a collector's piece.

Cool, thanks. There's no date on it or anything, but it's condition is too good for it to be old enough to be worth anything.

Cool, thanks. There's no date on it

LOL, you may be making some assumptions about what a date looks like. It's written in Japanese, not Arabic numerals (or Roman, for that matter). It's under the "10" on the back of the coin. <a href="http://eow.alc.co.jp/%E5%B9%B3%E6%88%90%E5%85%83%E5%B9%B4/UTF-8">dictionary lookup</a>

LOL, you may be making some assumptions about what a date looks like. It's written in Japanese, not Arabic numerals (or Roman, for that matter). It's under the "10" on the back of the coin. <a href="http://eow.alc.co.jp/%E5%B9%B3%E6%88%90%E5%85%83%E5%B9%B4/UTF-8">dictionary lookup</a>

I figured since they had a big number "10" on the coin they would have the date the same, but I guess it would make more sense for them to have it in Japanese.

I can tell that it's pre-1990 by using my brilliant powers of deduction. Not interested enough to actually look up the japanese numerals, but you can tell that it's not 2000+ because we're in the first decade, so the second and third numerals would be the same, same goes for the 1990s. Logic also says that its also not a 19_9 coin because the second and last numerals would be the same.

This is unless the japanese dating system has a strange progression that I don't understand.

This is unless the japanese dating system has a strange progression that I don't understand.

It does - coins are dated according to what year of the current emporer's reign it is. Your powers of deduction are useless against this unnecessarily convoluted scheme, bwa ha ha.