Note to New Members ×

Snow Summit Feb 12-13

BrendenSD

My pass is blacked out for the holiday weekend. So - depending on weather and swell - my plans are to be in Baja. (Erwin: Are you reading this?) But things are looking like they might be good for Summit this Sunday. If this storm blows out by late Saturday as predicted right now, I plan on being there on the 8th. I know some others are as well if you can make it.

You guys have fun. The snow was great today and there were 4 carvers on

the mountain. Nice to meet you Brenden and Janet, and Don and Rick.

I think I may finally be retiring my Raichle Snowboarder boots, my Deeluxe Track 225s are working so much better.

Now you need to get fintecs :biggthump

I must say that all the times I have been boarding and skiing this year today was the best!! "The best Jerry, the best". Snow was incredible, Erwin Terry and I raped and pillaged Chair 7 for all it was worth and she still begged for more. So we kept cuttin trenches in her until we left at 1:30. The snow was so good and carvealicious that I even threw in some heelside rail grabs that Terry had a up close look at!!! The Rossi World Cup 190 is schweet!!!

AT Snummit the weather was weird. It stayed sunny most of the day even with the incoming storm, it was only in the last 45 min did it start closing in. Snow had fallen on the ARctic Circle portion of the Hwy but we didn't get any snow at Snummit.

We did finally get to meet Dsub after 4 or 5 years of trying to get together. We weren't able to make any runs with Dave but hope we can in the future. We didn't see hide nor hair of Brenden, kept looking out for the lime green/red combo.

BTW,Kooks I tell you, KOOKS!!

Also, I was just over at Snummit's website and clicked on daily photos and look who they captured today!! Not sure why "big" is highlighted, I don't think I rode naked today? Maybe it was the size of the board??

ss_galleryb1.jpg

No excuses Aaron. Angulate or die!

Can't trust that darn push pull rider either! ;)

I'm jealous of that snow! Getting a bit sick of all this fresh stuff now though. A couple toesides I've hit my knuckles on my board, but it only happens when the board skips and bites again and I get sucked towards the topsheet. Does that count?:lol:

The Coiler is treating me quite well now. The only problem I had last time out was some 6 foot 8 softbooter hanging out in my heelside blindspot. That's a good way to force looking into the turn!

Didn't the big radius Oxy hurt you? I couldn't imagine jumping on a 17.5m board after any sort of torso injury!

I must say that all the times I have been boarding and skiing this year today was the best!!

I CONCUR!!! So far, the best day of the season for me:biggthump

The conditions were soooo good, EVEN Theo would have been able set down a round carve or two.

After Aaron and Terry left, I took out the Dupraz and rode it with my softboots, and it commenced to PUKE snow:barf: It looked like a Mammoth style dump. It snowed enough to fill in the moguls on Olympic.

The drive down was a pain. It was carnage on HWY 38. Numerous cars running off the road into embankments, and a couple of stuck buses. It took me 2 hours to get off the mountain -- but the conditions made the drive worthwhile:biggthump

The drive down was a pain. It was carnage on HWY 38. Numerous cars running off the road into embankments, and a couple of stuck buses. It took me 2 hours to get off the mountain -- but the conditions made the drive worthwhile:biggthump

Erwin, glad you made it home without incident. Roads were getting nasty when we were heading home.

Just want to say it is always good times carving with you and the other SoCal guys. Let's do it again soon!!!:biggthump:biggthump

Good to see you riding again Aaron. I think "carvealicious" is the word I was looking for to describe the snow on Thursday. I was just telling Brenden on Thursday that it helps to get low(and back hand front cuff) and that I have seen pictures of rail grab backside (heelside) turns.

Don, I tried to catch up to you two but always seemed to be about halfway up looking down, maybe next time. Keep watching the ride board.

Tomorrow looks like a Baldy day, though Valentines day may cut it short.

ss_galleryb1.jpg

Great day right from the first ride down the hill. We tracked that thing up in a hurry. That was the most fun I have had all year. We even got to do one run with Dennis on his new Donek. Love the graphics on that board. Hey Aaron, I guess if you look cool enough long enough they have to take a picture of you :D. I wish I had my camera out when you did those edge grabs, those were totally cool.

sorry I didn't ride with you guys. I tried to catch you on 7 or 10 but the girl I was with thought the lower part was too steep

I was also having serious pain that made it very, very not fun to ride, at all. I don't know if it's just from being out of shape, boots not fit right, or what, but it was the same when I went to mammoth in December. It's saturday morning and what I believe is my "extensor digitorum longus" on my left leg is still killing me.

overall, while you guys had a great day, I just couldn't get the groove. I went to the car to get the WCR as it's more edgy, and got a few good turns but the pain just ruined it, no matter how hard I tried to focus on ignoring it. I'm either a huge sissy or something's wrong with me.

oh, and we left about 1:45, and...I gotta say...that ride down wasn't worth even the most epic of days. Took me two hours, and i was nearly hit TWICE once in the rear when I had to slow down after a curve due to some DIP**** stopping in the MIDDLE OF THE F-ING ROAD to put on chains, and the 2nd time when some DIP**** decided to pass a long line of cars that were STOPPED for an accident. I look out my window and I see the nose of a truck pointing directly at me, but sliding sideways fortunately. Dude pitched it 90* and stopped facing directly at me.

idiots. I hate SoCal.

glad you dudes had a blast, and I wanted to be in on that, but even without the pain the drive reminded me why I ride so little down here. :(

forgot to mention the rollover I saw on the way up. It was bad. I sure hope those people were ok.

I think I'm done going to big bear, unless I can go up at a leisurely pace and crash for a day or two and ride a couple or few hours at a time as the time, plus crowds, plus dangerous drive just make it not worth it to me anymore.

by the way...aaron and erwin...I saw both of you guys riding on a couple runs, and you both looked pretty damn solid. nice work.

Felt my leash getting snagged on the snow on heelsides very consistently today. Damn that feels good.

I find that driving the board hard is just too much fun, and the evidence in the snow just makes it better. A clean line with spray on the outside!

Caught the attention of the ski team coaches today. Well, then again, I was showing off right next to their slalom course!:lol:

God I'm such a ham.

Met another hardbooter today. Bit anti-social and reckless, but exciting to watch. My guess is he used to race because he had the very stand up style instead of most freecarver's low stance.

I wish I had my camera out when you did those edge grabs, those were totally cool.

Aaron i will be at Snow Summit on the 22nd, i will take it easy and just cruise around for a couple of hours and then i'll grab my camera, if you feel like doing some of those cool edge grab i'll be taking pictures and if you want to ride the prior just let me know and don't forget to bring the TD2