Note to New Members ×

Arrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh

Coloradoking

Did they charge you $100 or more each way for the right to treat your board like s**t?

Is this some new policy when traveling with boards? I've never had to pay anything to bring mine on a trip with me, but the last time I flew with a board was march of last year. It is only if its over 50 lbs, or is it some new rip-off the airport is doing?

Is this some new policy when traveling with boards? I've never had to pay anything to bring mine on a trip with me, but the last time I flew with a board was march of last year. It is only if its over 50 lbs, or is it some new rip-off the airport is doing?

United is 15$ for your first bag, 25$ for your second, each way. Plus extra for > 50#, not sure how much but a lot. So now you're nickel-and-dimed plus you can be assured people are cramming the largest carry-on's imaginable in the overhead bins and there will be no room for your stuff. Oh yeah, and getting on and off the plane takes longer because of all of the carryon luggage. Did I mention I just flew home on United on Sunday?

Not too surprised the helmet cracked, that's what they're supposed to do, break so your head doesn't break.

I don't think so, your helmet cracking is not going to lessen any impact. It's not like a car with crumple zones. The last thing you want your helmet to do is crack.

I don't think so, your helmet cracking is not going to lessen any impact. It's not like a car with crumple zones. The last thing you want your helmet to do is crack.

Yeah, I've always been under the impression that it's the foam that absorbs the impact, and the hard shell holds the shape even when the foam is fully deformed.

OK, so the hard shell part cracked....I didn't see that in the picture. But the foam part...it's supposed to break up when you hit something hard, the energy goes into breaking the helmet instead of your head. Isn't this right? Or am I way off here?

OK, so the hard shell part cracked....I didn't see that in the picture. But the foam part...it's supposed to break up when you hit something hard, the energy goes into breaking the helmet instead of your head. Isn't this right? Or am I way off here?

Whatever the case, it took a helluva lot of force to crack that helmet! :smashfrea

Sorry for the damage man. I guess I should consider myself lucky...I flew United for a trip to Mt. Shasta with the gf, and I noticed the nose of my board (on the base) had a bulge about the size of a quarter. I'm guessing the handlers dropped it on the nose. No damage other than that.

Let us know how things turn out. Good luck.

I'm not exactly a helmet expert, so I may be wrong, I would think you would want it to not be damaged at all and let the foam be the only cushion. Cars damage on impact on purpose so they can act like a pillow. Your plastic shell is just a shell, cracking it wouldn't lesson any G's forces.

I've got in many accidents through skateboarding, bmx, a couple motorcycle accidents, etc, I've never cracked a helmet. (I was unconsious one time with the motorcycle.) Helmet had a dent, but no crack.

I think when they give the helmets the snell test it's not supposed to crack.

Well that's how it works with disposable helmets.

In football helmets, it transfers all the energy directly to your brain. :biggthump

The air pockets in the Riddell VR-4 and Revolution (Those weird looking helmets you started seeing in the NFL last season) are nice features, sometimes your head doesn't even touch the memory foam pads, the air pressure increases inside the pockets and that is how the energy is dissipated.

just went to the airport, theyre going to compensate me... partially... and now a united representative has a freshly torn new one; but the check doesnt come for about 4-6 MONTHS... F***ING MONTHS

I think I'm shipping my tanker/wife's f2 and kids skis to C0.

So they didn't even count your board bag/bootbag as an extra bag?

I looked on United's site..

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52906,00.html#snowboard

I assume they went with the fine print and stuck it to you as an oversize bag?

My dakine bag is a 180 cm ski bag...I always said it was a ski bag before no problem and it was no extra charge..but no more...