Note to New Members ×

Tyler Jewell

Keyser Soze

Yes you can. If someone has knowledge of alpine and says to you "I just don't get why people think that is so good" You can relpy that they probably aren't at a level of riding where they can get it.

There is a reason why so many of the top world cup riders are still on the northwaves. It isn't because they have not tried any other boots, it's because they ride the fastest in them. If you don't get that then you are not at a level to get it.

Yes you can. If someone has knowledge of alpine and says to you "I just don't get why people think that is so good" You can relpy that they probably aren't at a level of riding where they can get it.

There is a reason why so many of the top world cup riders are still on the northwaves. It isn't because they have not tried any other boots, it's because they ride the fastest in them. If you don't get that then you are not at a level to get it.

I get that they think/are fast in them, thats obvious, the question is what about that boot makes them faster? that you'd go through the trouble, then cost (last I checked 850s were going for over $500, unless your lucky)

Well said Phil. To add: It is not required of those that "Get it" to be able to explain the "Why" or "How", they ride what works and may or may not be able to explain to others the "Why". That is simply not required or even available neccesarily.

Perhaps an analgy might be a formula race car driver that finds he wins on a certain tire. He may not be able to explain why.

In an example closer to home. In chatting with Jacoby about his snowboards. He points out a snowboard that he says "Won more races on this board than any other board". Why? "It was just so fast". He had a serious board budget in those days and could have pretty much anyone build anything he wanted. Try as they might, they struggled to build a faster board.

Somethings are hard to explain or quantify. They just work (win)

Bryan

I get that they think/are fast in them, thats obvious, the question is what about that boot makes them faster? that you'd go through the trouble, then cost (last I checked 850s were going for over $500, unless your lucky)

First off those guys don't "think" they are faster in them. They KNOW they are faster in them. The guys and gals on the world cup use timing systems pretty much all the time they train. It's very easy to compare equipment this way.

When you invest 4k in boards, three flights to europe, 6 weeks travel in europe, a trip to Japan, two weeks in South America or New Zealand, 2k in wax......$500 for a boot you are faster in is worth the investment.

gotta love how Tyler's dad puts things in perspective.

Mr. Jewell is my son and I do appreciate your coverage of the unfortunate incident, especially the fact that he got back up and continued the race. As his mother I can say this is who Tyler Jewell is... like the American film hero Rocky, Tyler gets back in the ring and keeps fighting. Thanks for showing his determination and look for him in 2010 in Vancouver.

Click to rate Rating 21 - Jean Jewell, Sudbury, Massachusetts, U.S.A., 21/1/2009 20:21

DB is determined to stick his foot,boot and sock into his mouth simultaneously. :biggthump

I think the cad drawn, airfoil buckles is mostly what does it.

Could be the rider too.

i like to see he's wearing the POC spine protector.. i have been riding with one this year, and love it. extra security and confidence.

anything to keep one's self on the snow!

(but that's another $140)... hahahahah.

DB- snowboarding is their job- not a hobby. When you try to do your job properly, you will spare no expense at footwear, binding systems, boards, etc.

So go out and get a pair of TD3's and bolt 'em to your ride.... That's the first step!

and the boston burbs have produced some serious alpine world cuppers.

http://www.skiracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6918&Itemid=2

http://skiing.teamusa.org/news/article/8511

A graduate of the Waterville Valley snowboarding program, it's not the technique that keeps Michelle Gorgone snowboarding; it's the speed. Nicknamed 'Pirelli' after Italian racing tires, she burned her way through the junior ranks scoring five Junior World Championship Teams ('98, '99, '01, '02, '03) before making the jump to the World Cup and the 2006 Olympic Team. Originally thought of as the youngster on the team, Michelle took over veteran leadership status after the retirement of Olympic bronze medalist Rosey Fletcher.

Feisty Bostonian Gorgone criss crossed the globe in World Cup competitions in 2008, but she decided to save the best for last when she nailed a second in the parallel giant slalom during World Cup finals in Valmalenco, Italy.

"It's cool to get a good result at the end of the season. I hope I continue like this in the next one. It was kind of my day. My coaches said that I could do it and it just worked out," Gorgone said. But with a taste for victory, Gorgone had to pull in two more before the season's end. She went on to retain her national PSL title and also added national parallel giant slalom champion to her resume.

FIRST TRACKS

Michelle picked up snowboarding thanks to a cousin Loryn, but she credits former coach Bill Enos with plugging her into the competition scene. After three years of tutelage from Enos at Waterville Valley, N.H., Michelle moved to Colorado and joined the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club. She then made her first U.S. Snowboarding Team in '03 and immediately went full-time on the World Cup tour.

Career Highlights

* 2006 Olympian

* 2008: U.S. PGS and PSL Champion

* 2008: 2nd in Valmalenco World Cup finals

* 2007: Four NorAm podiums

* 2007: Won U.S. PSL title

* Five career World Cup podiums

* 2005: 1st at Breckenridge Grand Prix

* 2004: PGS National champ

* Two-time Juniors Worlds medalist

* 2002: Olympic forerunner

DB could get his keister kicked, by a girl

post-123-14184227296_thumb.jpg

Michelle could kick almost every member heres kister. She out rides almost every one that attends SES. If only she could keep from making mistakes she would be the fastest girl in the world.

Also the bummer is Tyler may have a sore knee from his barge.

That's good news.

I thought they ditched alpine and threw out the boot molds.

Someone with lifeguard orange northwaves told me that on a lift somewhere...

What's the story if there is one?

No story:

Unfortunately not available anymore...got in touch with the factory in 2004 to try to get the molds and buy them to reproduce small series...they were thrown out somewhere ( usually boot maker NEVER do that) and the factory that molds them has lost trace of their existance...its really strange...all the new one resurfacing were usually kept in back rooms of small shops in small euro resorts ( france, italy, germany, swiss and austria mostly)...this explains why they are expensive, and why they are rare... .900 is an incredible freecarve boot, and .950 is the stiffer racing model ( same mold; different plastics).

Nils