Note to New Members ×

Standard Bail Adjustments

Silver Bullet

I have recently switched from step ins to the TD3 standard bails. After riding about 5 - 10 days this season I noticed that the bail was no longer tight... loose enough in fact to move the toe end of the boot around. Have others experienced this? Is it due to the block sliding, the bails bending or the boots twisting?

Just want to know what to expect and look out for. I am riding Track 700s on TD3 standard bails if that matters.

i don't have td3s. i have cateks and i'm having problems with bale tension with my deeluxe 700 boots.

sunday i was out riding in very cold temps. started out -5F, got to a high of 10F. my front bale seemed to be tight at the start of a run but when i got to the bottom it was loose enough where i accidentally stepped out of the binding. scared the crap out of me.

i tried tightening the bale by moving it to the next position but it was impossible to close it. i put it back to the original position and it felt tight. took another run, got to the bottom and the front bale had little or no tension. i bet if i flicked the bale, it would've flopped off.

again i recently bought deeluxe 700s. inside, the bale feels really tight. i had it outside for about an hour at 4F and it still feels tight. seemed like after riding it in the cold it just loosens to the point where i'm really nervous.

do deeluxe boots shrink alot in the cold?

in case you haven't figured out already,with the adjustment you made you might have skipped one possibility.While the toe and heel blocks are mounted into several choices of bolt holes the blocks themselves also have two choices of where to put the bolts through.If you only move the assembly to the next set of holes underneath the block,you move it farther than if you do that and also put the bolts through the other holes in the block.(depending on which holes they were already in,because they might laready be in the 'shorter' choice)Hope that all made sense.

Steve

in case you haven't figured out already,with the adjustment you made you might have skipped one possibility.While the toe and heel blocks are mounted into several choices of bolt holes the blocks themselves also have two choices of where to put the bolts through.If you only move the assembly to the next set of holes underneath the block,you move it farther than if you do that and also put the bolts through the other holes in the block.(depending on which holes they were already in,because they might laready be in the 'shorter' choice)Hope that all made sense.

Steve

i know what you're talking about. i had moved the toe block to the next set of holes on the plate but put the screw in the opposite position in the toe block. again, i couldn't flip the bale... way too tight. i've had problems with bales snapping and recently cracked the heel of my old boots probably from cranking on the bales.

wish there was a third hole on the toe block.