Note to New Members ×

178 Coiler Free Carve

Ironduck

I bought this board a year ago and made less than 10 trips down the hill. I have found it is a bit stiffer than I prefer for the relatively narrow trails I ride in northern VT. I am 175 lb and 60 yrs. It hooks up nicely and turns well. The previous owner only rode it a few times as well (he is even lighter than 175 lb). It is in excellent condition with one 3/4" long by 1/16" deep chip on the edge of the top sheet (see picture below). The base, as you might expect for so little use, is pristine.

The specs are 178 FC 05 RS1 6.75. The waste width is 18.7 cm. The sidecut is 10.5 M. From the specs Bruce can tell you more.

Asking price: $350+shipping. If you are in Aspen and contact me before 9:00 AM on 1/22/09 we can avoid the shipping. After that I will be in Northern VT.

Email with questions or comments. If you would like a reference, I suggest Jack.

Thanks,

Bob Dill

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->

<!--[endif]-->

post-2148-141842271547_thumb.jpg

post-2148-141842271548_thumb.jpg

post-2148-141842271549_thumb.jpg

uh oh.. I should really get yet another source of income..

I'm not getting the impression that this board is "stiff" at a 6.75. I'm 170 and have a 7.4 stiffness coiler and it rides like 'butta.. where'd you have your stance?

I bet this is a really fun board, and, if I hadn't JUST picked up another board, I'd jump on this.

paging Mr. Anderson..Mr. Anderson??

I'm not getting the impression that this board is "stiff" at a 6.75. I'm 170 and have a 7.4 stiffness coiler and it rides like 'butta.. where'd you have your stance?

Don't forget that comparing stiffness numbers on different length boards is a job only for the Boardmaster himself...

Mike, sounds like you know a little about this. As the board gets longer do the numbers go up or down for the same weight?

See ya in March, Scott

My observation has, generally speaking, that as the board gets bigger the number goes down for the same weight. Although the Schtubby 164 I bought used from Bruce seems to throw a monkey wrench into that theory... it is an outlier...

I've got a '07 180 FC (non T) coming that Bruce said was 160 - 170 lbs, give or take. Flex is 6.5. Mike, I think you are on the money here, Thank God! Bought a 188 PRWCC end of last year and it was advertised as my size (165 - 180). Got a couple of runs on it end of last year and loved it. After talking with Bruce about the 180 I was questioning the stiffness of the 188. It has a flex of 6.3. Haven't ridden it yet this year as I'm just starting to get the legs back in shape and the body into the groove. I was starting to think maybe I bought wrong based on the numbers, but it sounds like the numbers are right.

Thanks Mike, I'll stop worrying about the numbers on this one and just ride it.

Hope you have much better snow than we do, Scott

Oh, I'd be so far from being able to make a recommendation, that it'd be ridiculous! But, I am acutely aware of how stance placement relative to board center can make my coiler (or prob.any board) initiate carve's very differently... Centered = instant, set back 1.5 inches = need to drive knee's/hips more.

I was just thinking that if you were set back a bit (as was my initial set-up) then it would require more dynamic movements to sharpen up the radius. that's all.

• 2 weeks later...