Note to New Members ×

Snowbasin

utahdeafcarver

• 2 months later...

Boy am I late on this one :eek:

Haven't spent much time on BOL lately.

Hey Jeff! Still racing? I have not been to the Basin once this season. Been spending my riding time (what little I've had this season) at PowMow. I really like that place, though I miss Snowbasin.

The guy you met on the F2 was likely Kevin Tall - great guy, solid carver! I have yet to see him post on this board, but he's a regular at Snowbasin.

Kirk

I am getting stationed at Hill AFB, which is in Ogden, UT. I was told this was the place to go. I ride a 175cm Coiler, not too many hard booters in the Minnesota area (where I am now). What are your thoughts on this mountain for an inexperienced carver?

If you can, check out Powder and Snowbasin before they close.

Otherwise, Snowbasin is reasonably steep without a lot of easy slopes and definitely gets more high speed skier traffic. We found Powder Mountain much more friendly for a beginning carver mountain with mellow terrain and fewer people. Snowbasin has much longer runs and more vertical per run than Powder Mountain.

The two resorts are miles apart in feel and amenities so it depends on what you want. Snowbasin has it all. Gondolas, granite bathrooms, great food. Powder Mountain feels more like a small resort that happens to have a huge amount of terrain but only one high speed lift and smelly lodges.

and smelly lodges.

:lol:

Classic. Just had to let you know that you made me chuckle with this coment Buell.

(Even some of the resorts that have "it all" still have smelly lodges though...)

Both Powder Mtn. and Snowbasin are a lot of fun....

Welcome Atc.Burt, Snowbasin is closer to HAFB but gets more people and the powder gets tracked out within a couple of hours. Season passes will be cheaper at Powder Mountain for non-military, about the same for military. The weather at Snowbasin gets more severe as a general rule, more wind and seems to ice up quicker in the spring. Powder Mountain has a lot of terrain and most people here ride the cat for powder or trek off a little. Powder is more layed back as Buell said and definately better for beginner/intermediate with sections of hills that are plenty steep to keep you working. Less people here to dodge than Snowbasin. Looking forward to seeing more carvers here, Kipp

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! The last day at Snowbasin was last Sunday, April 19. It was a beautiful day. What's amazing is that this last day was the first time I ever saw two hardbooters there (other than me) on the same day!

I met a doctor (KC) and his wife. KC was on a Prior WCR Metal (same as me!). KC, if you find this post, I believe I gave you the wrong phone number to text me at. I mixed up two numbers. :freak3: E-mail me instead at utahdeafcarver@hotmail.com and we'll hook up and ride next year.

Kirk, ATC.BURT, Lovett, Buell, Skully, I should have a season pass again next year, so let's set up some dates to meet up. I usually go every weekend. :biggthumpSundays are best for me, however, as I ride with my wife and kids on Saturdays.

Yes Kirk, I'm still racing! Will be going to Slovakia in 2011 to compete in my last Deaflympics (against all the top Deaf racers!).

Enjoy the summer (or miss the winter; whichever you prefer!).