Note to New Members ×

pressure duration

BobD

We were kayaking the other night on a local creek, which has some great shallow breaking waves. After surfing a while, we we tried body surfing. This normally involves wading in at the side of the wave and then leaping in. Some local kids who swim in the river alot showed us another option. They were able to run across the jet of water ( about 12'' deep, very fast and slippery) and then drop into the wave. It looked crazy. How could you stand on the slippery surface without you feet being swept away.

They used a high prancing gait. I realised this was eaxactly the same as pressuring the edge on a snowboard. But it also relied on the very short duration that thier foot touched down each time.

Now, here's the question. If a given weight and movement is available, in icey conditions,would you get better grip with a short radius board thereby concentrating the duration of the presure, against a long radius board at a higher speed giving the same Gforce ?

Edit - Better question. Does this explain why those who can inclinate the board more, reducing the radius of the turn, can carve better on ice ? - the duration is less, therefor the pressure is greater.

BobD

Edit - Better question. Does this explain why those who can inclinate the board more, reducing the radius of the turn, can carve better on ice ? - the duration is less, therefor the pressure is greater.

I don't think duration is the answer. I am able to carve very long, flowing turns on ice when I am skiing, as well as short 'tiptoe' turns. I am working up to doing this on the snowboard, but so far have only been confident at short to medium turns and slower speeds.

When I'm controlling the skis on ice, I am very much aware of how much I tip them over and where I pressure the edge. No matter how fast I am going, or how I pressure the skis, if I don't have enough inclination, I loose the edge.

Sounds a lot like the fast sneaking, tiptoe motion developed by Warner Bros animators in the '30s
Yeah! I love those classics! :)