Note to New Members ×

I think i've hit a wall....

Sharkey

I'm going to try and get some video in a couple weekends. if I can i'll post it. Maybe you guys can use it as a comparison for your riding, even if it's not exactly your style. If the guys I saw at Crystal are there again, i'll get them on camera too. I've never posted video, seldom pictures. we'll see how it goes.

Yes. That's something I've been trying to do, but untill seeing myself on a video, I was sure I was doing it right.. :(

So I should just pressure the front foot even more, and that should be it.. I hope my knee will be OK with it :biggthump

Cheers!

Is it your front knee or back knee? I find that you can use one or the other with some success when riding. It's not the same as using both to pressure, but it will definitely help out.

Is it your front knee or back knee? I find that you can use one or the other with some success when riding. It's not the same as using both to pressure, but it will definitely help out.

it's my front (left) knee. it's no problem in front turn since the position of the knee is relatively natural, but in back turn the position is quite unnatural and i'm afraid of pushing it stronger than I already do (I was sure I was really pushing it hard, but video shows different :o)

and somehow I guess my front knee should be the one that sets a board on a cant. or am I wrong? You think I could try doing it with my back knee?

• 2 weeks later...

I've made major breakthroughs regarding carving steeper runs and the key for me was indeed whipping those turns so that you actually wind up carving uphill. My key was in inclinate more than I thought need be and having the balls to stay with it until it comes around. Tight turns are key as long as your legs are up to it. It creates some serious Gs....need to ride real relaxed.

Regarding the heel turn...I make a conscious effort to lead with the hip by moving it to the front of the board. It moves the weight forward and creates inclination at the same time. Upper body must stay parallel to the slope. Imagine holding a tray of drinks and closing a door with your hips....that's the motion.

It is such a thrill when you master this. It's a whole new level of carving pleasure. My hands never touched the snow before progressing to this point and now they do all the time. It's so freaking sweet. Stick with it!!

Aside from rotating your upper torso to face the toe of your board (and the direction of the turn) I'm surprised nobody has said anything about lifting your toes up. I find cranking my toes up in a heelside turn is an almost guaranteed way to increase board angle and tighten the turn--works for me almost every time! (This does a lot more for me than reaching for my boots or board, which people seem to obsess about a lot.)

Scott

I'm a few years into hardbooting and am still sorting out my heelside demons. Riding softies more than hardboots doesn't help, as I have to really concentrate to keep my upper body turning with the board instead of opening up with the fall line. Reaching around with the trailing arm like everyone is saying does help with that.

But another problem I've noticed I have, and haven't seen it mentioned that much yet, is that I don't commit to the heelside as quickly as the toe side. Since toesides work so well, I have confidence getting the board high on edge quickly and pushing into the turn right away, and hence turn sharp and don't gain a ton of speed. But I don't have the same confidence to throw my body down quickly on heelside, so the board starts to run and I'm trying to drop and tighten the turn when it's already too late. Works in hero snow, but on ice it often leads to painful chatter, which no doubt is a feedback loop to the lack of heelside confidence dropping into it.

Knowing and doing are two different things, but the heelside turn should be locked in and carving hard well before the board is pointed down the fall line again. Hold the toeside as long as it takes to get the speed where you want it, then cross over and commit fully to the heelside to keep it there.

So my contribution is -- it may take good form to can get the board high on edge, but don't neglect getting it there quickly. As soon as you're done with the toeside, transition hard into the heelside BEFORE you speed up. If you're like me, that may be one of your many demons.