Note to New Members ×

Trip to Heavenly this weekend, info please....

cassandtim

Heavenly passholder here. However, I have only experienced the Nevada side.

Many of the popular slopes for carvers lie in the Nevada portion of the resort. I have absolutely no knowledge of the California side. Most popular are Big Dipper and Orion slopes from the Dipper Express lift. Also just about as popular is the Comet slope from Comet Express lift. There is also the Olympic Downhill slope which starts at the top of the Olympic Express lift and ends at the bottom of Stagecoach Express lift.

The best slope IMO that I have found is the Stagecoach slope that you find by bearing left upon unloading from the Stagecoach Express lift; HOWEVER, as of Sunday (the beginning of this week) they still haven't groomed it yet this season.... huge bummer. When it is actually groomed, it is the ONLY slope (I have found) that isn't uncarveable due to crowds by 11am until the mountain closes.

You can see me this weekend taking first chair from Stagecoach Express. However, I have only spent one day on plates so far for my entire hardbooting career, so I may not be a great riding buddy.

As for conditions, I can't say. Olympic Downhill to the bottom of Stagecoach Express will be okay with your precious sticks. I assume that Dipper and Comet lifts will be fine too, as they are the WROD lifts and tend to have better coverage.

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back. Rode Heavenly on Jan. 13/14. I wouldn't recommend it unless it snows a bunch. I stayed on the Nevada side, mostly on Orion, Olympic Downhill and Stagecoach. Olympic and Stagecoach are pretty scraped off and icy - easy to lose an edge. Orion is good but crowded because of all the closed runs.

Kirkwood was much better for snow coverage, IMO.