Note to New Members ×

My first experience - Hardboot/Carving Board

xogiox

Hey guys,

Well today was my first day on hardboots and a carving board. I live in Michigan so the choices in hills aren't the greatest but I went to a nearby hill that I usually go to. First of all I snapped in my front boot and man was I uncomfortable, it felt so wierd wearing hardboots. I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to make it down the hill at all without falling, which I soon realized was incorrect. The first couple of runs i took it slow mostly just skid turns to get used to my gear. Then i decided to turn it up a notch and start trying to hold an edge :1luvu:. I was very pleased with the edge hold, and was actually not ready for how much it actually held. I did a few green circles, a couple blues (which in Michigan aren't much) in which I was trying some techniques I have read on Bomber which helped. I was getting more and more comfortable leaning more and more but the edge wouldnt give. The only thing that actually did give were my legs which werent used to all the pressure and hold. I made it about 2 hours before my legs were burning and my feet were killing me.

At this point I changed to my softboots and was trying to compare my carving abilities. It was a very slow day at the hills so I could see all my lines from previous hardboots. After a few runs with my softboot setup i was kind of shocked that my lines looked very similiar between the two.

I guess I was expecting a tighter turning radius and a more C shaped turns.

Overall I was very pleased with the performance and I can only hope to get better, start leaning more and eventually be an extreme carver.

I think the only thing that is going to hold me back is my disbelief in the amount of hold my new setup will have. Any thoughts, recommendations?

Congrats, your first day was much better than my train wreck at the local resort in S. Calif.:lol: I suggest lessons with a hardboot instructor if you can find one. I took a 2 hour private lesson at Lake Tahoe and it was life changing. I'm sure making the pilgrimage to SES is another one of those life changing moments too :biggthump

I have actually, never in my life met another hard-boot alpine rider, to my knowledge. I started riding in Newfoundland and did about five years in Lake Louise/Jasper/Sunshine, but don't think I ever saw anyone else (who wasn't a beginner anyway!).

It's pretty unfortunate, because I can only imagine it would be the best way to pick up on tips and find out where you're going wrong!

greg

I are at Pine Knob, if you are serious then drop me a pm. Could greatly accelerate your learning carve. Rode Pine Knob this a.m. from 8:55 to 11:00. Will be on first thing again tomorrow, but I will be doing laps on the steeper hill for the first 30 to 45 minutes until too many others are on the same run. Could spend an or so with you around 10:00

pdwlc@yahoo.com

I are at Pine Knob, if you are serious then drop me a pm. Could greatly accelerate your learning carve. Rode Pine Knob this a.m. from 8:55 to 11:00. Will be on first thing again tomorrow, but I will be doing laps on the steeper hill for the first 30 to 45 minutes until too many others are on the same run. Could spend an or so with you around 10:00

xogiox

This is the best possible offer you could hope for!!!

Take advantage of riding with a "Journeyman" carver. It will change everything!!!

I get up to Crystal Mountain on most weekends if you find yourself up there give me a heads up and we can do some riding together. During the week you might run into me if you are at Mt.Brighton. At Brighton I work the lifts so if i'm not on the hill riding I might be able to share some thoughts with you from the top or bottom.

Thanks Michiganders.

I sent Pat a PM.

I will be traveling up North Jan23-25th to go on my annaul Boyne Bombers trip. Will anyone be up there at that time? On a side note, I have been doing the "Boyne Bombers" trip for about 5 years, when I found this site I was overjoyed to see the name of it. lol:1luvu: