Note to New Members ×

expert skiers

BobD

I was talking in general.

As for the EC girl, after reviewing that vid again (it's been 6 mnts since I watched it last), I accept the "bs". Her outer does disengage at least 40% of time. However, you'll see some clean turns. Her entry and exit are mostly clean too.

When you watch slo-mo EC snowboarding, the board often dis-engages and re-engages, too.

Yeah that's just the Swoard guys though. :eplus2:

Not that I EC a lot on my Burner but I guarantee it doesn't wiggle like that.

EC ski girl still rips. Not saying that. Just the wiggle leg thing freaks me out.

I believe it's a girl in that video - fixed it for ya! :) And her outside ski is wobbling like that because it isn't really engaged with the snow, it's just an outrigger - she's doing her carve almost entirely on the inside ski.

I agree -- putting so much weight on the inside ski is going to lose the edge on the outside ski. On that hardpack there is no reason to put at most 50% weight on the inside ski during later half of the turn and even that is not needed.

As most others said, ski carving on perfect groomers is a lot easier with the carving skis. The issue is doing that on any type of snow, at speed on all types of terrain.

I agree -- putting so much weight on the inside ski is going to lose the edge on the outside ski. On that hardpack there is no reason to put at most 50% weight on the inside ski during later half of the turn and even that is not needed.

As most others said, ski carving on perfect groomers is a lot easier with the carving skis. The issue is doing that on any type of snow, at speed on all types of terrain.

While I'm not a fan of the 90 % inside ski technique, I do often finish my turns approaching 50/50 when I'm carving hard (esp on smaller radius sidecuts). In alpine snowboarding, we seem to have come to respect the different approaches and techniques used to acheive our goal - having fun carving turns. Sometimes we don't agree on aspects of technique, but the concepts are common and we all appreciate good carving however it's done.

Ski carving seems to suffer because most skiers and instructors don't see carving as a distinct discipline. and want to apply a very standard approach, seemingly based on racing and hold over techniques from the day of straight skis. So while we see not only differences in technique in alpine snowboarding, we also see great variation in style. The "expression" in SES is all about that. Skiing just seems to lack appreciation of the individual. Of course I'm generalizing here, I know there are some very open minded ski instructors out there

BobD