Note to New Members ×

Cheap sledding options?

Wun

Okay, I've recently got a new girlfriend and would like to take her up to the snow. She doesn't snowboard, and we don't exactly have the cash to spend on lift tickets and gear rentals.

I figured I could buy some cheap sleds (I'm talking CHEAP CHEAP plastic-disk-type of sleds, nothing expensive like wooden sleds with skates on the bottom) somewhere and find some public snow park or just use the snow outside of my mom's condo.

My brother tells me that I'll have no problem walking into any random gas station up in the mountains (if important, Lake Tahoe... southshore) and finding such sleds. Is that true? If not, where would I be likely to find some? I'm not looking for reliable equipment that will last years; it just needs to be extremely affordable... something that will break after even a few days of heavy use will do just fine. Or, any other affordable snow-related activity besides snowball fights and building snowmen will be fine. The lady's only seen snow once.

Please help! And I want to take off soon, as today is my last blackout day! Wish me speedy progression for my first season on plates!

what Tex said. Get her a happy meal and a lunch tray to go.

We once rode lunchtrays from the top of Copper down to watch a BX, Fawcett won.

:biggthump

loooks like fun fun fun

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgtLQD9778&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgtLQD9778&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lunch trays will be last resort, I guess. Would like to use something thicker than a trash bag. What is the lexan, and how would I go about getting that? Really, those saucer plastics that are advertised for sledding should do, though I guess they won't sell for as cheap as they are really worth.. was pretty much wondering if my brother would be right about not having a hard time at all finding them in convenience stores in the area. Besides, it would be nice to use something in which we could take a few runs together on.