Note to New Members ×

rear of front leg getting trashed in soft boots

snowboardfast

Anyone having trouble with your leg hurting directly behind your knee when doing heelside turns in soft boots? This is on my front leg regular stance. i had to quit early today because of this. i have a feeling I am twisting a little bit foward and this might be the problem but you ca'nt always ride perfect. I stopped and stretched my leg before riding and during but it wouldn't go away. I know my legs are pretty strong as I bike ride pretty regularly. In fact I came home after snowboarding and rode 17 miles on the road bike today as it was 50 degrees in Denver today. Don't have this problem with hard boots. This is making me want to go back to hard boots 100% . I tried adjusting the foward lean a little bit but it didn't help. I have had this problem before.

Snowboardfast,

When I decided to go back to softboots 100% I also had problems dealing with pain in both my knees and a pain just above my left calf (I ride regular)

I don't know what the true problem was but it stopped once I bought new boots, Burton Rulers, and stopped riding my soft board like it was a hard deck. I think this was the biggest problem. Trying to ride my soft board with soft boots by driving my knees laterally hurt. Allthough soft boots have excellent support compared to what they used to, they still don't have quite the support that hard boots do. I think my knees were not used to lack of support and took a little more of a beating than they usually did. I don't know what your problem is but certainly don't try to ride your soft board as if it was your hard board. Since you mostly ride hard, it could be part of your problem.

Good Luck

I am not trying to ride my soft boots like hard boots at all. I have boots that fit well-Burton Driverx and have put in a lot of days on soft boots. the other problem I will always have is sore insteps because they are high and I have bone spurs on them from old soft bindings from years ago. I don't crank the straps down super tight but my insteps stil hurt sometimes. My calfs don't hurt just the back of my left leg right behind my knee. These problems do'nt occur with hard boots.

I've experienced both of those knee pains before, but unfortunately can't tell you how to fix it. I had the "outside of the knee" pain and it was because of consistent outward twisting because I had a funky stance (45/15). Bringing the feet closer in angle to each other fixed that pain.

Unfortunately your stance is already fine in that regard. But maybe you have some outward twisting of the lower leg because of your softy riding style? Eg facing the toe edge or even towards the tail a little on say heelside skids?

I believe the pain in the back of my knee was caused by a consistent force pushing my shinbone forwards in relation to the thigh bone (although you'd expect that to strain the ACL and patellar tendon?). In any case, I got rid of that by relaxing the forward lean significantly. Again, unfortunately, I doubt that's what you have since that is also accompanied by pain at the back of the boottop as it cuts into your calf because the forward lean is so high, which you said you didn't have. ...but you could give it a shot.

you are using different muscles than your other setups. they will take a little time to get in shape. in the meantime play with the angle on that foot 1 or 2 degrees will make all the difference. you may be to far forward for that particular board. heels and toes on the edges.:biggthump

My left leg gets sore at the knee everytime I use softboots. I attribute it to the severe twist I have to put in my leg in the lift line and any other time I have the rear boot out of the binding. That is a pretty un-natural position for the knee if you are regular stance, 30 degree front binding angle (which I am) and have your boot on the toe side of the board moving on the flats and lift lines. After a couple of hours riding our small hills here - lot of time in line - my knee is sore. It gets fixed with a few beers, usually, more or less. OTOH, when I was riding duck, both knees hurt plenty. I don't do that anymore.

Other than that, I don't have the issue if I stick to hard boots and/or skis.

Rick