Note to New Members ×

Kona Skatepark

utahcarver

One of my dreams is going to come true at the end of next January. I'm headed to Jacksonville, Florida (my hometown) for an impromptu reunion and I'm going to skate at Kona skatepark. I got to skate Kona the day before it opened many years ago. I also skated it for many evenings before I left Florida in 1977. So, now 30-plus years later I'm returning to skate it again. I'll also get to surf again after a 32 year hiatus.

I'm not planning on checking any bags and I want to travel with my skateboard. I did this a few years back on a trip to San Diego and had no problem (before 9/11). Does anyone have any experience with the airlines traveling with a skateboard (Skaterbuilt Jay Smith 2). Initially, my plan is to remove the trucks and wheels. Place the truck assy into my pack and lash the board to the pack. I'm open to suggestions from anyone who's got experience in this area.

I'll make sure to post pics of the carnage at Kona, too.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm also open to shipping my board to Jacksonville before I travel. That way, I can avoid any, well, 'unpleasantness' with TSA or my fellow travelers.

Carry the sucker around. I wouldn't recommend skating around the terminal..(Although, O'Hare has those moving walkways, can you say endless pumping practice?)

Throw it under the seat in front of you with your bag on top. Upside down of course. They are pretty cool about it, I've never carried any big skates around, but anything smaller is fine.

I've been there 3 times in my life, first time was 20 years ago before they cut the snake run in half. Had my vision longboard with Indy 215's and Alva street bombs. In the pic I'm holding my Vision Gonz with Gullwing Magnezium trucks and Bullet 66's. Last time I went (about 8 years ago) they cut the hill in half and put in a flat modern "street course". The bowl with the extension I believe is still there and the "freestyle" bowl. Everything used to be all transitional drop-ins with the exception of the pool which is no longer.

Correction, after looking at the pic again (hard to tell in silouette) I think those were actually G&S BamBams, green I believe.

post-6711-141842267953_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with the airlines traveling with a skateboard (Skaterbuilt Jay Smith 2). Initially, my plan is to remove the trucks and wheels. Place the truck assy into my pack and lash the board to the pack. I'm open to suggestions from anyone who's got experience in this area.

I flew on Jet Blue, VT to CA this past summer for the Slalom Nationals with my 32" TS board, with trucks and wheels mounted, strapped to my daypack. No problems and it fit in the overhead too. I think if you take the trucks off the board you should put them in checked baggage - if they are loose in a carry-on, the TSA geeks might think they look like a possible weapon. Sounds like a cool trip - enjoy!

-RF

I've traveled with a fully setup 35" board in my hand as a piece of carry on as recently as Oct and had no troubles. Put it on its back in the overhead rack and other stuff can sit right on top of it.

I've always want to take a longboard to Kona. Have fun . . . post pics!