Note to New Members ×

Radoslav Zidek Torino SBX set up

DiveBomber

I think he's got rocks in his head if he's using race physics in competition. I like race plates very much, but race physics are just plain dangerous.

later,

Dave R.

why's that??

well He almost won it, was in the lead by far, for about 3/4 of the race.

BTW

here are some of the other riders on plates that I could find:

Radoslav Zidek;

Jordi Font

Stefano Pozzolini

Rafal Skarbek-Malczewski

Jasey Jay Anderson

Mateusz Ligocki

Dieter Krassnig

and FWIW, 3 of the top 5 finishers were on plates.

On two seperate occasions, I had a physics baseplate (plastic) fail on me when I was going ludicrous speed. I think that the design of the physics is superior to the intec design. The problem with it is that it does not allow enough elastic travel, before the forces developed break a vital component. This rider is under less danger because he riding a board in the 165cm range if he's doing SBX, but it's still only a matter of time before the plastic fails from a very very stiff boot (burton fire) in a very stiff binding (physics). I cannot recommend people riding these bindings, as convenient as a step in is, although I did have a pair that I sold a while ago, so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that respect.

later,

Dave R.

EDIT: I see from the pic that he's using plastic centre discs which will give him more movement, but still...................(cringing)

I doubt that Grabner was on an off the shelf setup that a consumer could buy. I saw Fawcett at a world cup in Whistler and he had physics speed hooks and heel receivers attached to a set of catek bindings. The stuff I broke would not last in competion. I say this because it broke after only two runs on the first set and three runs on the second set. It is possible however that the guy in the picture "obtained" his setup from a former racer and it is a lot safer than run of the mill gear.

later,

Dave R.

The stuff Sigi was riding were the normal physics that anyone could buy. Beleive it or not. The bindings that Zidek used in the Olympics are also the normal off the shelf Physics. Most of the gear pros are on is the same gear anyone can get very little of it is really that custom.

I also rode the physics binding for a while when I raced, the only ones I have problems with were the ones with the clear blue base plastic. These ones shattered often, the black ones were fine though.