Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Timberline Reports 2008-2009

Buell, thanks for sharing your adventures.

What route are you taking on your MT Hood Wy'East face climb?

Starting at MHM or T-Line?

Descent into Heather Canyon or Gnarl Ridge?

Planning on summiting from there or going for the snowboarding?

Photos please!!

Thanks again safe journey

I have no idea yet Bryan.

Rebecca will be climbing as well and will want some good riding that isn't as steep as the upper parts of the Wy'East. I know that Meadows parking is lower, but the area above it could provide decent riding for her if she did not want to go all the way up the Wy'East.

Thoughts? You can email them if you would like.

Thanks, Buell

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea yet Bryan.

Rebecca will be climbing as well and will want some good riding that isn't as steep as the upper parts of the Wy'East. I know that Meadows parking is lower, but the area above it could provide decent riding for her if she did not want to go all the way up the Wy'East.

Thoughts? You can email them if you would like.

Thanks, Buell

Will do.

Couple highlights of things I have learned :confused:

They lock the gate in the MHM main parking lot at night.

Hint: park on the side of the road just below it if you expect to run "long".

The upper pitches are 45-55 degrees plus. Don't drop anything!! It is very exposed. Not cliffs, but a very long descent to the East. Couple cool water falls too!!.

The fall line to the east of your climbing route will provide allot more vert.

however you need to consider your egress. "Heather Canyon" run out is approx. 5 miles with creek crossings.

To summit from that route is not ideal time wise if you are not worried about "Summit Baggin" and more about the riding, skip it.

Most likely headed up to TLine on Thursday 7/2 to test out my rehabbed, PCL-less knee, knee brace, and some Coilers...

I think Chris is coming down on Tuesday.

Recent reports say there are quite a few alpine riders on the hood in training.

Slopetool. where is that report you promised dude! :biggthump

Clackamas County sheriff’s search and rescue members said Kristopher R. Haskins was taken off the mountain before 2 p.m. by an Oregon National Guard helicopter to Legacy Emanuel Hospital. Haskins is an employee of the University of Washington in Seattle

This article was an early report,

More complete report

Kris said on the evening news that he was struck by a falling rock about the size of two baseballs. It was traveling fast and said it felt like he had been hit by a cannon ball. Spent hours waiting for rescue. He was lucky to not bleed out.

We are in the more dangerous climbing period of the year. CAUTION

Was up at TLine yesterday and the day before. On Thursday morning you could ride all the way to the bottom of the Mile lift, as of yesterday around 11am that was no longer the case. Snow is quite dirty except on the top half of Palmer where it is still moderately dirty. Good coverage up top considering the time of year, keep your eyes open and you probably won't hit anything.

Thanks for the update Mike.

Good to hear you are riding ok.

Near 100 degree days this week probably didn't help.

How busy was it, see any other alpine riders?

Thursday was moderately busy, yesterday was DEAD, probably due to the heat and the holiday. I did see one camp group with MHSSC, the coach's name is John and he had one hardbooter in his group. Several camp kis asking me about my setup, one noticed I was riding several different Coilers and asked me about that.

It'll take a few riding days to figure out how to ride best with the changes my body has undergone, minus the PCL, but I should be back to my old self a month or so into next season. The knee brace certainly helps... pretty sure that PCL was frayed before I did it in, and I have been learning how to ride without it for years...

Cool news Bryan ! I was up there yesterday with kids doing the skibowl adventure park and at dinner at the rams head bar. The Palmer looked like it had pretty good coverage.

Did you do the slide? Who won?

Reverse Bungy still there?

Sounds like fun!!! Spending allot of time at the cabin?

Yes we rode the alpine slides but are waiting till this next weekend to go to the adventure park for my daughters " friend birthday party" . You are welcome to come on up with us ? We are getting the extreme package which includes a ride on everything'

Yes we rode the alpine slides but are waiting till this next weekend to go to the adventure park for my daughters " friend birthday party" . You are welcome to come on up with us ? We are getting the extreme package which includes a ride on everything'

Thanks Jim, sounds like EXTREME HIGH PITCHED SCREAMING FEST:eek:

The energy of a bunch of teenage girls would be refreshing though.

I have a number of prior commitments, but it is kind of you to invite me!!

Sounds like good fun, great weather!!

You are a great Dad!!

Bryan