Note to New Members ×

Anyone, Okemo on Thu 12/11 or Fri 12/12?

fishrising

Thanks Joe, everything I am reading says the snow is due at 1:00pm. True or not, please keep us posted. I would appreciate it! I would prefer to ride tomorrow, but if conditions dictate otherwise....

PS, I'll be in an off-white almost grey jacket, grey helmet, and on a red version of your board's big brother, Donek Oppenheim FC 179cm x 21cm x 11.2m, if I feel like breaking in my new hardboots. If not, I'll be riding my softies on a Donek Delrossi Freeride 175cm x 29cm x 10.7m which I just got, and am told it can carve like mad. And I am 6'7" so I shouldn't be hard to miss.

That's taller than my oldest brother (6'6"). I'm the shortest brother at 6'3".

I hadn't even considered the weather other than temps. I looked at weather.com and what it shows for Ludlow is rain until tonight, ending around midnight just after changing over to snow, cloudy until afternoon tomorrow when it starts snowing, light snow for the first few hours but getting heavier in the evening and continuing overnight through afternoon friday.

looks like hard and fast thursday and soft on friday, both have advantages and disadvantages, your choice.

Gotta love the diff forecasts from diff "authorities."

NOAA:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Ludlow&state=VT&site=BTV&textField1=43.3963&textField2=-72.6975&e=0

This Afternoon: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 4pm. High near 48. West wind between 5 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow, mainly before 1am. Low around 20. North wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Thursday: A chance of snow and sleet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Light northeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Thursday Night: Snow and sleet, becoming all snow after 1am. Low around 23. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Friday: Snow and sleet. High near 27. Northwest wind between 5 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

WUNDERGOUND:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=05149

Rest of Today

Rain through early this afternoon...then rain changing to snow late this afternoon. Snow accumulation of dusting to 2 inches. Highs in the mid to upper 40s. Temperature falling into the mid 30s this afternoon. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph this morning...becoming northwest this afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Tonight

Snow until midnight...then partly cloudy with a chance of snow showers after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches. Lows 17 to 23. North winds around 10 mph until midnight... becoming light and variable. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Thursday

Partly sunny in the morning...then becoming cloudy. A chance of snow and sleet. Highs in the upper 20s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Thursday Night

Sleet until midnight. Cloudy with snow. Heavy snow accumulation. Near steady temperature in the lower 20s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Friday

Snow or sleet. Light snow accumulation. Highs in the upper 20s. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

I'll be at okemo this saturday (12/13), giving one of my friends a ride up there for a free lift ticket. She and her dad work there as snowboard instructors on the weekends. Her name is Jess Glagov, you know her?

ya, I met her, lil hotty ripper chick. That last name sounds Russian.

Is there a deal on lift tickets or are they just hookin you up ?

edit: just found her on facebook, maybe mention I requested an add.

Willy, i haven't got to talk to her yet but I'll let her know.

Some of the worst conditions I've ever been in have been at okemo.

A foot of snow, followed by rain to make a super thick crusty top. The groomers went over it and turned it into little triangular chunks that would destroy your board, knees, and arms. combine that with the intense wind, and fog so thick that we couldn't go faster than skidding speed.

I've also had some amazing conditions up there too. At least I've never had to pay :)

Give me a ring at 508 265 1974 if you wanna take some turns between lessons. And anyone else that might be up there, do the same if you want.

I think I'm gonna bring a slalom board just in case you guys get swamped by the pushy NY crowd.

EDIT: Chang of plans for me. I'll be leaving okemo at around noon because I gotta be back in boston by 3 or so. Feel free to call me before 11:30 though and I'll be honored to take some turns.

Nice to see you too Gleb, maybe next time. I did actually get out on my board later that morning, but didn't see you anywhere. By the way, one of those Proton riders was a friend of my cousin.

Weatherwise, it's getting better. We had a nasty ice storm thursday night, with over an inch of ice in some places on the mountain. Rain late yesterday, froze overnight. After tomorrow temps should stay below freezing for over a week at least (according to the forecast). Maybe I will see you next week.