Note to New Members ×

Learning to Carve without wheels

SlalomSkater87

Willy - sweet photo of Me and Karl in 2007 at Antrim! I learned a lot chasing him...maybe too much ;), got him twice this year in GS. I'm sure I'll help him out on snow and then he'll return the favor some time!!

ya, Karl's a great kid and a welcome addition to the carving community.

these kids today....I tell ya:rolleyes:

post-123-141842265711_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842265713_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842265715_thumb.jpg

I'll be taking karl out on a day of carving asap. I already told him that he should try out his softies on my oxygen bx.

Then probably move up to hard boots on my ultra prime. No need buying boards, I got plenty I can loan for the season, and if you break em, what ever. I also have plenty of burton race plates.

Karl, I can't find the heels for my boots I was gonna give you. The boots are pretty beat and I'm not sure if they'll fit you. I'm a size 10.5 and a mondo 28 or so. It wouldn't be worth buying heels for them, so I recommend just buying cheap ones. Like rick said, $150 max.

good luck with finals and papers.

Forecast for monday- sunny 58. If anyone can manage to come out Gleb and I will be at the arboretum in the afternoon. Should be a good session if you can make it. :biggthump free coaching/instruction!

Gleb and Karl - let me know if you guys head north to hit the snow...I'll try to join you if I can.

Putting WR on the snow this weekend!

-RF

Got on hard boots for the first time today. I got to ride Gleb's Coiler. We rode at Loon all day in near white out conditions. There was so much fresh powder! It was really incredible.

My first impressions are that I'm impressed with how much speed you pick up on the alpine set up and how much easier it is to initiate carves. The slalom skateboarding balance is helping me A LOT. I love throwing my hip into the carves as if I was going over for some offsets in slalom skateboarding. Hardbooting is crazy awesome. Can't wait for my next session. :biggthump

Sweet! That's two slalom skaters on carving boards on the same weekend! WR and I rode Bolton Saturday and Sugarbush yesterday. He's getting it really quickly.

What an amazing snow weekend. We had 12-15 of the most fluffy buttery snow you can get in the east.

Wentzle said the same thing - he was amazed at the acceleration as soon as you point your deck down the hill.

Now if we can just get more snowboard carvers to try skate slalom!

-RF

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news... I was coming down an icey trail at sunday river on friday when I got cut off by a skier hit his skis and flew into a fence. Came off the mountain and I knew I sprained my ankle, I went the hospital today I find out I fractured my fibula! Same leg as I injured years back in a car accident while skating. No boards for a couple months....

2009.... yay.:eek:

We'll have to get up to Appalachian for a day when MelloYello is ripping! (I've never met the guy, but am determined to confirm that BOL'ers actually exist outside the (e)therial)

Lemme know when you get back to Greensboro. No Excuses!!

Heal Fast!

BB

Bad news... I was coming down an icey trail at sunday river on friday when I got cut off by a skier hit his skis and flew into a fence. Came off the mountain and I knew I sprained my ankle, I went the hospital today I find out I fractured my fibula! Same leg as I injured years back in a car accident while skating. No boards for a couple months....

2009.... yay.:eek:

F in A Karl! That totally stinks. Just like on the highway, it's the other drivers that will kill you. I don't mind taking myslef out - but when someone else does it it pisses me off. Make sure you get plenty of sympathy from the ladies...play it for all it's worth brother!!

-RF

Hey Karl! Sorry to hear that you hurt your leg again.

But welcome to the world of alpine.

As you know, Im a formerly fast slalom racer, and I a relative noob to alpine.

There are many similarities to be sure, but try and approach the snow without think to much like a slalom racer, these boards seem to take a year to turn compared to a little ts board.

Sorry Im too late and missed the boat.

Hey Karl! Sorry to hear that you hurt your leg again.

But welcome to the world of alpine.

As you know, Im a formerly fast slalom racer, and I a relative noob to alpine.

There are many similarities to be sure, but try and approach the snow without think to much like a slalom racer, these boards seem to take a year to turn compared to a little ts board.

Sorry Im too late and missed the boat.

"formerly fast slalom racer"....uh....ahem...do I hear some sandbagging going on? ;)

It's so typical that Karl got taken out by a SKIER who was not following the rules...now tell me again who the dangers on the hill are?

Civ - I'll also take this chance to wish you and Shasta a happy, healthy and success-filled 2009! I'm not racing on snow this winter, so let me know if you guys make a VT trip again this year and I'll try to get out there with you.

-RF

It's days like these I realize it could always be worse.

**** Skiers.

0106091vail4a.jpg

Skier Suffers Exposure

Man left dangling upside down, pantsless after Vail lift mishap

JANUARY 6--In a bizarre incident that will surely lead to litigation (or an out-of-court settlement), a skier at Colorado's ritzy Vail resort was left dangling upside down and pantsless from a chairlift last Thursday morning. The January 1 mishap apparently occurred after the male skier, 48, and a child boarded a high-speed lift in Vail's Blue Sky Basin. It appears that the chairlift's fold-down seat was somehow not in the lowered position, which caused the man to partially fall through the resulting gap. His right ski got jammed in the ascending chairlift, and that kept him upended since his boot never dislodged from its binding. As seen in the photos on the following pages (which were snapped by fellow skiers), the Skyline Express lift was stopped shortly after the pair's botched boarding resulted in the man dangling from the lift. The exposed skier was stuck for about 15 minutes before Vail personnel backed the lift up and successfully dislodged the unidentified man from the four-seat chair. In a statement released this afternoon, Vail Resorts, which operates the ski area, reported that the skier was not injured after being "suspended for approximately seven minutes." The press release did not explain how the mishap occurred, only that "the man was caught on the chair." (5 pages)