Note to New Members ×

Snowshoe

Recon

Snowshoe

Went up Friday morning.

It was nice to see snow—very little seen on the

4 hr trip up there. Nice cool sunny day.

Word had got around about their snow accumulation/ a good number of people present.

No ridding on Friday! Just got settled in/ stayed a base of mountain this time! Spent Friday Just taking in/ the sites. Saturday AM another sunny day/ looking pretty sweet/ they had about 20 runs open I think.. Silver creek opens Dec. 19 th—I prefer carving there.

Started out on a free ride board thinking that no way/ conditions would let me ride Alpine.

Wrong choice--- the groom was great- good coverage & firm. After 3 or 4 runs/ it was all I could take & the desire to lay down some good turns over-took me!

Strangely enough- I was ridding the free-ride stick as if I had ridden all week.

It felt great! Most of the time/ it takes me a few runs to start ridding descent..

Happy with my un-explained ridding performance- I just had to go hard boots!

12 mile round trip drive to get them paid off/

Again / I do not understand this/ but the carving was great/ in fact my heal side was better than I can ever remember it------strange!

Had an awesome day! Many were asking what the hell I was ridding.

Wine & cheese/ gourmet meal/ & a hot tub finished out the day. The cooking at this resort is first class. Also found out something new (hot-tubs makes the girlfriend Horney) Good to know!

Sunday morning/ the mountain was fogged in & light rain! No thanks- I gave Sunday’s lift ticket to someone in the hall-way!

It was only one day carving

But worth it!

See ya there!

Any takers on the 12 weekend at the shoe???

However I might wait till the 19--- thats when Silver creek opens

I'm going up on the 12th weekend. Actually a little disappointed that Silver Creek isn't open yet since I actually haven't boarded at Snowshoe in years... Usually SC has very little crowd and the wide runs work out better for carving.

Any suggestions for good carving runs at Snowshoe that are open now?

Yeah, I wish Silver Creek were opened already too. But next weekend when it does, it should be nice. I don't like riding at the 'Shoe main mountain either, but there are some good runs to get an edge on:

Skip Jack (blue), just to the right of Spruce Glades Terrain park. It's set up as a racing course most of the year, and thus less traffic. Nice consistent pitch.

Gandy Dancer (blue), on the other side of Spruce, is also a nice blue. Kind of sheltered from the wind so it doesn't get as scratchy as quickly.

Ball Hooter is o.k. for a blue, but traffic and wind usually results in an icy surface.

Some of the greens can actually be fun. My favorite is Log Slide. At the top of the run (off Heisler way), there's a nice real wide-opened section for laying down big time carves.

Whistlepunk (the section under Powder Monket lift) can also be a bit of a fun green too.

K2, I have some "old" Burton race plates (3 seasons) that you'd be welcomed to use until you get your gear. Also have a Donek FC 171 that's been sitting in the basement since I got my Coiler AM last year. Only problem is that my wife got it for birthday a few years ago, and it says "Dave" in big white letters on the topsheet. Let me know if there's interest and we can work on meeting up sometime. Wife has been bugging me to get rid of equipment anyway!

i havent had a HB board for a few years, as i got too fat for my last one and gave it away, happens when a girl approaches thirty i'm told.

i think it happened when i got promoted to a desk job at UPS, but anyway i quit that job (for MANY reasons) and will be instructing full time, so i'm betting i'll be back to fighting weight soon.

Thanks Tick, i'd love to borrow some gear. Heck I'll even "rent" it from you. I have my old boots and even a set of old snowpros that i threw on my osin 3800 for a few runs last year, but i really prefer to use my softies on that board, i'm afraid i'll crank it too hard and bust my powder ride.:freak3:

DrCR I have HB at WP only one time, i actually liked to take compromise to either snowbowl or drop off, I like carving on steeper stuff as long as the place is pretty empty, and if you want to see empty try WP any weekday, lol.

K2, right now tentative plans for next week are to be riding Snowshoe on Wendesday, then Silver Creek Friday and Saturday (19th and 20th). If you think you would be able to make it up there then, send me a PM and maybe we could meet up and I'll bring the goods!

Where should we meet? Where the ropes drop at Silver Creek? I'll have my little boy with me. He's 7, and a two-planker. He can do the blues at Silver Creek pretty easily, don't know about the blacks.

I'll be in a black jacket, probably black pants, and a "safety cone orange" helmet. Hard to miss! Besides, how many hard booters are you going to see at Silver Creek?

(Silver Creek) Tic I see 2 to 3 Hard-booters a season

hmmm, I didn't make it up that much but other then Recon, I haven't seen any....

I'll have to see how things work out. I'm trying to get a project (addition on the house) started. I really want to go, and have quite a few PTO hrs to 'use-or-lose', but I can only make day trips and day trips are easier with a co-pilot.