Note to New Members ×

Ass-cent Skis

KingCrimson

Among the things to invent that keep me up all night, my dad and I are planning on doing some exploring behind Baldy this year, and I need ascent skis because well, trying to hop up steep inclines doesn't turn out too well. (Good for the abs though)

I had an idea, which would be to buy only the free-heel touring portion of the split components from Voile, which comes to 191 clams, which includes their plate binding (looks like a skiboard binding really, or the Bomber split..Figure I don't need the bomber because I won't be descending) and then slap them on snow blades, or better yet, the sawed-off tips of free skis on Craigslist. Finish it off with some cut up skins, and I believe I'd have me some 90cm ascent skis.

$191 isn't bad, and I couldn't ever find anyone selling K2 approach skis (guess everyone loses them?)

Don't blame me for the stupid manner this is written in, it's too early.

I'm surprised the forum software didn't edit down the first word in the title of this thread.

I have a pair of Karhu Meta approach skis you could borrow if you want to pay roundtrip shipping and you plan to do this Baldy ascent before the spring. They are brand new and I've yet to make the modifications I plan.

I have AT Boots that I use for skiing. They have the Dynafit style toes and I bought some spare Dynafit binding toe-pieces. I also got a pair of BD climbing posts/wires to put under the heels. My plan is to remove the stock binding that came on the Karhus and replace them with the Dynafit toes and climbing posts. Then I can skin up in those and descend on plate bindings with my AT boots and standard bails instead of my usual Intec compatible sb boots. I'll have a very light, very low-profile set of at bindings when I'm done.

Email me if you want to discuss this.

I appreciate your offer for the loaner skis, but I was actually more interested in the project portion of this, as opposed to just buying a pair of skis. I figured with Voile's parts it would be nice because I could use my Suzukas (now if only there was a quick release on the BTS so I could walk) for ascent and descent, and not compromise on the boot by going for an AT interface. Voile's parts are also way cheaper than AT bindings!

You want to do the conversion because the strap bindings are too cumbersome? It would make more sense to do what I'm doing, but instead of Voile's plate system, you could just buy the Intec split Bomber binding, and use your regular hardboots. The voile system uses climbing wires too, and you can get the big 72mm version. Then again, you have all the parts already..

It's pieces of a voile kit, and I really don't want to go splitting my board, because

A. I'm in highschool and can't afford anything, and I wouldn't want my split to be my normal board, but I don't want to do off-piste in soft boots

B. It's too damn hard

dude, buy a $50 piece of crap deck and fire up the band saw

a FP in the smaller sizes in the back country is not really the thing you want to be riding

a burton air from 1991 would do you better in the soft.

get something as big as you can find for $50, some used up 162 or something, a burton floater. A sims tom sims model, Ride "Ride", a vintage K2 eldorado. all of the above I've seen go for dirt cheap on craigslist, here and on ebay.