Note to New Members ×

Hoigaards-tuning

powell1.8

I just had a couple of boards tuned by Hoigaards. They did a great job. The techs name was Gordy and I believe the other guys I talked with name was Dan. Gordy called me to double check how I wanted my boards ground and what edge bevels I prefered. Gordy also told me he primarily works on race skis and that he felt we get overlooked as a customer base too often.

When I mentioned some past experiences with their shop Dan told me many of the techs and equipment have been replaced. They are now state of the art.

I promised to spread the word that Hoigaards did a great job. Gordy and Dan both went out of their way to make sure my boards were done just right.

I got a so-so tune from them last year on my Axxess.

My FCII on the other hand they did a GREAT job!!!!

They saved my Rossi VAS from the garbage after an Alternative (ahem!) shop just about killed it. They did a REALLY nice job on it. Too bad I don't ride it.......:(

I think the key is to talk to them and let them know you know what you are looking for and what to expect.

I took my Deelux boots to them for fitting and custom insoles. This was the store that was by Buck last year. The bootfitter did a really good job, spent a lot of time. No charge when I came back for tweaks. I also purchase a set of ski boots from them, and got them fitted and custom insoles. They are just comfy. They spent a good deal of time making sure they fit correctly. Got another set of skis also (can't overlook a great sale on twin tips), good service. They had some questions on setup after I left the shop and phoned me directly before doing the work. I would definately go back to them for fitting/purchasing/tuning.

Rick

Powell: Glad to hear you were pleased with the results.

A few weeks back I brought my Custom X to Hoigaards for structure.

Ended up having them re-do the work because it was improperly

done - Only the inch closest to the edge was structured. I would have

been happy just talking with the tech, but one of the service reps, Gary,

stepped-in and gave me a pitch that went,

'No..this is done right...think about it.. all you ever use is your edges,

so that's why we only structure the base closest to the edge.'

...........I was sooo upset, but tried so hard to remain civil.................

When I returned later that day, the board was structured properly.

A group met me at the service counter, and explained that they

basically 'figured out' how to tune boards evenly, and were in the process of re-tuning all of the boards currently in for service.

I just can't stand being lied to, BUT they did step up and fix the problem.

Big Props to Rob (Board Sales, Hyland Tech, and Sponsored Rossi rider) for stepping in and treating me like a boarder/customer.

MUD's right - If you go, talk with Gord and stress the importance of getting a good tune. I'm not sure if they are limited just to linear cuts. A few years back when Steve H. worked there he was doing some fun stuff with swirls and radial patterns.

FWIW: I have never been to Tonka Ski, but The G-Team is now using them as it's preferred tune shop.

Just got F2 board back from PTC aka SkiMD.com, with the olympic cut, and it looks gorgeous.

Interesting timing...

I dropped off my Dragon last night for stone/edge. (I used to work at the Lazy H part time for 8 years, fwiw).

They should have it done today and I'll post results. Stone grinding a board (esp freestyle) is REALLY REALLY difficult.

It they need some coaching, I'll let Connie know. ;)

....but if you don't want to spend for a SkiMd tune (PTC), another alternative is Precision Ski in Frisco, CO. They use the same equipment as SkiMD and charge $60......almost 1/2. We just had a board tuned there and with a racer's discount it was $48 and was done quite well. Took a true bar to the edges and they were perfect (.5/3). With shipping you could go well under $100 and have a great job.

Lastly - if you have edge questions/issues visit Eric at Pierce in Bloomington. He can't do the base, but loves to "play" with race boards and tweek the edges. Has great knowledge and all the cool tuning gear and wax.

Also got a coupon in the mail for a stone grind at Dick's Sporting goods......

I think they can do different cuts. I just let Gordy do what he thought was best. He did the edges at 1/3. He thought this would be good for early season MN snow/crust/ice. When I picked up the boards Dan told me Gordy did some cross cut pattern on the base. It looks pretty linear, but if I look close there is a bias cut to it as well.

Karl, I gave them a second chance based on your setting them strait. It seems they heard you loud and clear. Props on that. And good call experimenting with your freeride board. I would have come unglued if I got a board back like that, especially if they tried to tell me that was the way it's done.

The carving community is making quite a name for themselves at the Lazy H....

Picked up my (freestyle) board. AAAAA+++++ structure and base work. Perhaps the best I've seen.

Rapped with some folks, played around with the new equipment. This is the same equipment that SkiMD uses. Actually, H's TrimJet is as high as it gets for edgework. Just took a month to get it dialed in.

Can't stress it enough..make sure you tell them what you want (providing you know). I disagree a bit about putting a 1b, 3s bevel. I'd go 1/2. Fine linear runs nice until mid Feb into Nationals where you might want to cut a bit deeper for wet snow.

If your board is warped in either direction, it's going to be a tricky tune (esp for freestyle). Toss it down on a hard surface and run paper on both sides to see if you're "true". Make sure you take the bindings off and any substantial stomp pad needs removal as well.

See you guys in the hill...

I got a chance to talk with Gordy at Hoigaards today. I had some questions about a board that needs a fix. I'm happy to say he loves our boards and loves working on them. He seems like the go to guy. He sounds experienced, he's definately knowledgable, and just seems like a good guy to work with. I was impressed.

The structure he put on my boards was a fine linear with a crosshatch. He said he has done a 5 or 6 carve boards this year and that was the structure he found he liked the best for our boards. It sounds like he's getting his technique dialed in.