Note to New Members ×

expression session TM

ncermak

A while back, someone made the comment that with all of these expression sessions poppong up, someone would slip in, trademark the name and ruin our fun, like they did with boardercross.

I thought to myself...why not do it, then keep the name available for free. The problem is, it costs about $375 to register, and I haven't looked into renewal fees. Having signed up for the new MADD (158!!!!) I can't just throw down that money. I'll do the work, if maybe a group of want to purchase the name...

anyone interested? is this a good idea?

-Noah

Guest Ken D

It was used in surfing for MANY years before these events. It is not new. Surfing, Cycling, Windsurfing and non sports all use the term. Why trademark it (if you could), it pollutes the concept of what it is... freedom.

I work in an industry filled with ®, TM, blah blahs. I have had my own concepts ripped off and it is ALWAYS about profit. Keep lawyers and big business tactics out of core sports.

Ken D

Guest Ken D

should we patent a concept started by other collectives and call it our own? pretty sure thats legally aceptable and spiritually deceptive.

not to poop on capitalism but "expression session" isn't a tagline. its like putting a patent on a religious concept... that you didn't start.

Ken D

gotta agree with ken. its about freedom...why bother running the beaurocratic gauntlet to claim ownership, especially when it would be free to use anyway?

and yeah, surfers were doin that in like the 70s...60s even? expression session.