Note to New Members ×

KTM rocks

bobdea

today we hit the church hill pits (templeton, MA) with a group of a few people and we all switched bikes. Mine was a sort of a hit because it's road legal and trail worthy but the real winner was a KTM 250 with desert tires on it. HOLY SH I T, that bike was amazing. as long as you stay on the throttle that bike would climb anything. God, I love two strokes.

the dog of the day was the xr 650, almost unridable in the pits and a bear on the trails. Probably had the highest top speed of the bunch but you need tar for that.

I put the KLX through the paces today, could use a bit more power but for the price and how nice it does on tar I am impressed. Glad I bought it now after riding three other bikes today. Today did however make me wish I could afford a KTM, pretty much the same frame and suspension with a four stroke and some lights to make it road legal and I'd have my dream bike.

bob, what's the kawi that is a reverse trike ?

2 wheels up front, it's street legal.

I took a pic of one the other day with my phone camera but can't find anything online, not even on the kawi site.

btw, I'm a big fan of the Kawi stand up jetskiis. The new 800 looks pretty sick.

This fall, I wanna trek up your way for some 2 stroke trailriding. Sounds like no hassles with the green police up there.Gotta get the RMX back out there.

you might be thinking of the can am spyder, not a kawi

yeah, we have them but it's rare they chase us and when they do they are on polaris sportsmen so they can't make it between the gates THEY put in to keep us out.

they did put in 3 new gates on the rail road bed trying to keep us out

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfSGadg-TAA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfSGadg-TAA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still rocking my 01 MXC frame 03 450 EXC engine frankenbike:

ktm450excfl8.jpg

Gotta love street legal dirt bikes! This think will climb anything I've thrown at it so far. I'm doing jumps now but it's just baby steps. Maybe 1-2 foot airs with 3-8 foot travel. Nothing major. The terrain down here is just insane!!!

I put some Dunlop D606's on it and they've been pretty darn good in the loose sand down here.

I really want a big bore KTM now. Looking at a 07 525 right now but I need mine to sell first...

There are a few street legal KTM 2 strokes in Colorado on Craigslist. I bet they would be a blast but I'm loving the gas milage and no-need-to-mix factor of the 4-stroke...

I went four stroke for road legal and reliability.

Two strokes will always have a place in my heart, I grew up riding 250Rs, banshees and various other snappy little beasts.

My neighbor even wrote a song about it. <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=echeYDYFhlY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=echeYDYFhlY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that said, four strokes are getting better, some day I'd love to ride a four stroke that has the snappy throttle response and powerband like a two stroke. Someday I'm sure there will be something as nice.

I went four stroke for road legal and reliability.

Two strokes will always have a place in my heart, I grew up riding 250Rs, banshees and various other snappy little beasts.

My neighbor even wrote a song about it.

that said, four strokes are getting better, some day I'd love to ride a four stroke that has the snappy throttle response and powerband like a two stroke. Someday I'm sure there will be something as nice.

One of my riding friends has a Yami 250 2-Stroke bored over 30. He now owns a YZ450F after trying to keep up with me on my KTM. Granted he still can't keep up because the KTM six speed wide-ratio gearbox rocks!

Too much wheel spin for the 2-Strokes to hang in the soft sand down here, but they are definately quick. He has a 1.9Gal tank on his 2-stroke and he has to fill up 2-3 times during an outing when I would use 1-1.5 gallons of gas...