Note to New Members ×

Dual Sport-Here's your chane to enlighten me!

RDY_2_Carve

Alot of guys really like the 450X, especially for DS.

Yeah I'm not really dual sporting either. 90% dirt 10% street is more like it. There is some AMAZING riding within 10 minutes of my driveway. I'll miss the KTM six speed I'm sure, but the 450X will work just fine.

Found a 2008 530 EXC local but it's a bit more than I wanted to spend. Going to see if the guy will come down some and go from there.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dude came down on the 2008 530 EXC so I now own it!

I'll post pics of it when I get a chance...

NICE! You will LOVE it! they are great bikes!

I am trying to buy one of these right now.

en250f.jpg

A 2007 TM EN250F (I know, the pic is of a 450). It is a very race oriented 250 four stroke.... VERY quick for a 250.

NICE! You will LOVE it! they are great bikes!

I am trying to buy one of these right now.

en250f.jpg

A 2007 TM EN250F (I know, the pic is of a 450). It is a very race oriented 250 four stroke.... VERY quick for a 250.

YES!

the newer four strokes are getting real good.

I rode the race bike the local kawi dealer has for a couple minutes (literally) and the engine looks the same as mine but is not. that thing ripped, I did not know a four stroke 250 could be that ballsy. I have to see if that engine will fit into my bike and if I can use my 6 speed tranny with it that may be what I'll do when I blow it up instead of going to the 330 bore that they make for the KLX.

that said, I love the snap of two strokes, I like the smell of Torco oil burning as well!

you boys and your KTMs, sure are nice bikes. I wish I could afford one but the sticker price and the price of parts puts KTM out of reach. Husqvarna makes a couple bikes I like too.

Any got some first hand experience with with synthetic oils and wet clutches?

I bought some full syn but I have not used any yet. I know it's supposed to be better as long as you get the right one because for a multitude of reasons but others are hard on some wet clutches.

As far as the engine goes, synthetics are much more beneficial to bikes than they are to cars because bikes take so much longer to warm up and synthetics flow better at low temps and don't thin out as much on the higher end of operating temperatures.

wet clutches though have trouble with synthetic oils, the claim is that is due to molybdenem is that more of a issue with the older types of sythetics and the newer syns don't have that issue.

just wondering about who's played with this first hand.

I do know that some people have race bikes running redline full syn with a wet clutch and it's fine but a race application is not the same as mine.

My Zero is a neck-snapper.

www.zeromotorcycles.com

There is not much on the map better for trail riding. The stock Mars motor couldn't handle it (smoked 2 of them) but the new Perm replacement is insane. 25+ hp and 100+ ft / lbs of torque. With a weight of 140 lbs, you can only imagine the acceleration.

The battery has had me out there for 3 hours, but is still off the back compared to the range of a gas bike.

That's where the comparison falls off a cliff, though as I haven't had to leave town to ride... Just pull out of the garage and go. That said, I haven't run into any conservation officers / wardens yet, but when I do, I'm sure that they won't be stoked like everyone else I see out there.

how does the thing shift? is it auto or does it have gears?

since it's electric I'd think it qualifies as a moped or a REGULAR bike and you'd be able to take it on any dirt road or any tar road other than the highway that's not posted.

mobile1, I guess that stuff is one of the more old school syns and it's not as good as the others. still better than dinosaur oil but not the best as far as your engine goes. nevermind a wet clutch.

motul, maxima, redline and a couple others are supposedly vastly superior in that they are made mostly with some other type of ester.

My choice was the maxima 10-40, in hindsight I could of gone lighter but my bike calls for 10-40 so that's what I use until I have to rebuild the thing and then at that point I'm gonna make it racey so I'll probably be running some really light stuff to milk every bit off power out of it and increase oil flow.

I run Maxima, either full synth or blend. Which ever I can get at the time.

The thing you want to avoid is "friction modifiers" they are moly and a few others, they will kill a wet clutch.

Stick with motorcycle specific oil and you will have no problem.

I use Maxima because it is the only thing that would hold up with the clutch abuse I used to give my 250 (2 stroke). I had great luck, so I stuck with it.

If your bike holds a good amount of oil, there is no reason to go full synth. My 400 only holds about a quart.

Well here's a pic of the new Katoom:

ktm1024se2.jpg

I let the guy keep the black rims since they were beat to death from MX and some idiots swapping tires. I thought the black rims were powdercoated but they were just painted afterall. He had them swapped on his 2007 300 2-Stroker with some run-flat tires and we couldn't get them swapped in a timely manner so I made him throw in the 3gal tank (which I haven't installed yet) and kept the aluminum rims. Boy does this thing rip it up in the dirt and it's a blast to ride on the street too. Is it me or does the 1000RR seem a bit jealous?

1024rj8.jpg

Lucky for me my wife hasn't given me too much grief about the new addition. That might have something to do with the new minivan I had waiting for her when she got back from her parents back in June...and since I sold my RSX-S and assumed her beat up Accord as "my car".

Please excuse my messy garage. It's an ongoing project...