Note to New Members ×

Intec cable broke

John E

One of my Intec cables broke - right near where it enters the plastic handle. I don't know why it would break there. Usually when cables break it's when you bend them around a sharp corner. It's a straight shot into the handle. It would get flexed where it enters the handle only if it were to get bent there a lot.

Anyway, upon disassembly, it looks like a standard bike shifter cable with a plastic housing.

Anyone had any luck using a shifter cable and just crimping on a new end within the plastic handle?

Hey OA,

I have seen this done, just take it to a bike shop and they can get you set up. Personally however, I would recommend original equipment. Just like boating I want total confidence in my equipment / repairs, when out on a trip. I carry spare intec cables with me now, as well as the Raichle pivot bearings for the boot ankle joints, for the more common break downs I have expierienced.

Best Regards,

Al

yes; $5 at wallyfart will get you a bike tune up kit which includes 2 shifter cables that can be cut in half to make 4 emergency repair cables. The trick is to tie a knot in the cut end & use the end crimp to hold it to length. the bike sheath is thicker so you may want to use the old intec sheath.

Kudos to Steve P. for this idea:biggthump

P.S. OE factory ends + new sheath are superior