Note to New Members ×

Turn out the lights and save the world!

andreac

Staurday March 29, 2008 is earth hour day! What that means is that in hundreds of cities and households across the world the lights will be turned off for 1 hour from 8-9pm (your local time). The idea started in Australia in 2007 and for the 1 hour that the lights were out there was a reduction in energy consumption of over 10% , which is equivalent of taking 48,000 cars off the road! and this year cities around the world are are joining in as well. Read about the good you will do by turning out your lights for 1 hour here

So for 1 hour tomorrow night from 8-9 turn off the lights! light a candle, look at the stars, or just relax in the dark... or well you can be creative with what you can do with the lights off! 1 hour is not too much. Even if your city isn't involved you can be. you don't need to sign up or do anything other than turn off the lights from 8-9! Hope you'll join in! :ices_ange

Andrea

Reading the New Zealand news today, people there are quite excited about it - Christchurch is the official kickoff point, and they have all sorts of fun things planned, including a free environmental film showing on the big screen in the square.

I'll be doing my bit, lighting candles and enjoying the peace and quiet.

I thought it was just "lights" -- damn that means no Bomber Posts too for 1 hour. Maybe I'll start a POLITICAL thread about 7:30.:argue::argue::AR15firin:AR15firin

Since the dark hour is local time for each time zone your 7:30 thread, read out east is 10:30 so there could be some good action on it by the time you get back! Could be fun to see the resposnes after being away for a while!!!!

Also I was thinking... I sent an email about this to a bunch of people, many of whom responded saying they could figure out something to do in the dark for an hour... I am wondering if we see an increase in babies born 9 months from now, because if around the world couples are making use of the dark hour, i wonder about extra babies? :1luvu: Just a thought! I'll guess we'll have to wait and see!

Also I was thinking... I sent an email about this to a bunch of people, many of whom responded saying they could figure out something to do in the dark for an hour... I am wondering if we see an increase in babies born 9 months from now, because if around the world couples are making use of the dark hour, i wonder about extra babies? :1luvu: Just a thought! I'll guess we'll have to wait and see!

Keep in mind you can not use a vibrator during that baby making. :biggthump

Our electricity comes from water flowing out of a lake through a dam. I wonder if I am saving the planet by turning off my lights? Maybe I am saving water.

I am wondering if we see an increase in babies born 9 months from now, because if around the world couples are making use of the dark hour, i wonder about extra babies?
Hope not! That would make things worse. Babies emit CO2 continuously, 24/7, not just while being driven.

from now, because if around the world couples are making use of the dark hour, i wonder about extra babies? :1luvu: Just a thought! I'll guess we'll have to wait and see!

So any of Y'all tried making a baby last night or maybe the real question is --- who got lucky?:biggthump