Note to New Members ×

Moto GP anyone?

Tommy D

It all starts this weekend! I was just reminded of this from another board, and I know many of you ride bikes ....

Here are a couple highlight videos:

http://images.motograndprix.com/multimedia2/267/267256.wmv

http://images.motograndprix.com/multimedia2/267/267275.wmv

I would love to see Rossi and some of those guys on an alpine setup! The way they carve those corners is nothing short of awesome!

I wonder if Hayden will be on top this year, now that he cut his teeth last season. This could be an epic battle: Rossi, Hayden, Edwards, Xaus ... And all the rest.

EDIT: I fixed the links. Oops. I thought that elipsis looked funny. ;)

...are the difference between $thousands in plastic repair/replacement, and a nice conversation piece ("see that little scrape? I got that in turn 3 at Loudon")

It's good to be nervous. I was. You probably won't go down then. I didn't. It only takes about 3 laps before the fear of death turns into sheer excitement as you realize that you've only ever really used half your motorcycle, and half your tires.

Hm...one of my by-10-years-from-now plans is to make a motorbike....

I fully intend to have integrated metal slide plates...no paint there, I'm gonna be rubbing it all off...I'm thinking post-apocalyptic, sort of Special by Garbage music video fighters reminiscent. I wonder...what are the fines for intentionally sliding in parking lots? :p

More of a tied-in design, with protected legs and torso, and a hell of a lot of good padding...I want to come out of a crash with a small-medium car winning. Hehe.

I'd probably aim for about 300-400 kg for the total weight, and select an engine based more on noise level than power...as long as I have enough for general driving, it's all good.

Bob , You may want to look into http://www.penguinracing.com/ before you do a track day. That way you can drop THIER bike instead of your R6. The money you spend at Penguin could save $$$ in fixing your bike and even hospital bills.Roadracing is no joke, be very scared. I've gone over the bars after highsiding out of a corner and broke my clavicle and got some nice road rash scars.My bike was a mess. That was at only 50 mph on the street. Going 120 down the back straight at Loudon with other bikes around you will definately get your adrenaline squirting but you must have adequate experience first. Steve Aspland a wealth of knowledge and he's hooked up with Vanson as I mentioned at Redbones. Good Luck!GO FAST! ;) Don't wreck that pretty R6:eek:

Originally posted by willywhit

Bob , You may want to look into http://www.penguinracing.com/ before you do a track day. That way you can drop THIER bike instead of your R6. The money you spend at Penguin could save $$$ in fixing your bike and even hospital bills.Roadracing is no joke, be very scared. I've gone over the bars after highsiding out of a corner and broke my clavicle and got some nice road rash scars.My bike was a mess. That was at only 50 mph on the street. Going 120 down the back straight at Loudon with other bikes around you will definately get your adrenaline squirting but you must have adequate experience first. Steve Aspland a wealth of knowledge and he's hooked up with Vanson as I mentioned at Redbones. Good Luck!GO FAST! ;) Don't wreck that pretty R6:eek:

This is great advice. I have taken several courses, and it is always a fantastic day. If you insist on using your own bike, at least get race plastic and frame sliders - a small investment and great piece of mind. If you go often enough, you will go down, it's just part of the learning process.

By the way, I spent a day on an R6 at the track. It rails like a mother, but it's really easy to tuck the front end, so be sure you are 'progressive' on the front brake. Take it easy and you will have a blast!

Looks like Rossi is on provisional pole after the first day. The Hondas had better keep him in sight off the green light, because it looks like top end speed is all they have on the Doctor for now.

Glad to hear that you are taking a course, Bob. Just remember, even one day on the track is enough to taint riding on the street forever. I thought I would only go out once in a while to improve on rider skills, but ended up selling my street ride not too long after. Once my finances are in order, I am going to pull the trigger on a RS250GP bike and do only track riding (maybe some supermoto as well :cool: ). Looks like you are going to have a great day.

I'd have to vote for using your own bike at a track school. That is, if you like your bike. Just get some frame sliders and don't be a squid. You only <i>think</i> you have an intimate relationship with your bike, until you take it on the track. After your first track day, the next time you go out to the garage to go for a ride, when you open the door and see your baby sitting there, it's like being in high school again... seeing your girlfriend in class monday morning... after you both lost your cherry that weekend!!