Note to New Members ×

Snowboarder/Skier Ratio

Flash

The NSSRA reports 5.2 million snowboarders (age 7+ who visit more than once a year) and 6.4 million skiers (age 7+ who visit more than once a year) in 2006.

Here is more info:

Avg. # of days:

Skiers: 12.9

Riders: 9.1

Skiers - Percentage and median age:

Male: 63% 31.8 y.o.

Female: 37% 32.6 y.o.

Riders:

Male: 72.9% 20.3 y.o.

Females: 27.1% 22.7 y.o.

edit: sorry, I just realized that you already saw the 2006 report. That is the most current that I know of.

Only 9.1 days for riders? I bet that number skyrockets if you just take into effect alpine boarders.

Also, this is off topic, but how come if you ski you're called a skier, but if you snowboard they call you a "rider"? I don't ride a snowboard. I snowboard. And when I snowboard I drive that snowboard. What's wrong with "snowboarder" or if you want to make it short, "boarder"?

The NSSRA reports 5.2 million snowboarders (age 7+ who visit more than once a year) and 6.4 million skiers (age 7+ who visit more than once a year) in 2006.

So if I'm doing the math right, that works out to 55% skiers, 45% boarders. More boarders than I'd have thought. Although skier days on hill would be higher, given the avg number of days quoted.

This year I'll get in more than 60 days. With about a 60/40 split between boarding and skiing. I bet that puts me way out there on the curve - actually it probably makes me just an asterisk on the chart.

Also, this is off topic, but how come if you ski you're called a skier, but if you snowboard they call you a "rider"? I don't ride a snowboard. I snowboard. And when I snowboard I drive that snowboard. What's wrong with "snowboarder" or if you want to make it short, "boarder"?

Because skiers are more dignified than us, so their terminology is more correct.

In all seriousness, I think it's demographics. I've never heard a snowboarder called a rider down here. Just like we don't wear Parkas, and we don't eat hokie sammiches.

Hmmmm...the term "riders" comes from people that ride snowboards, not from skiers....

I guess you need to pick that beef with the jibbers....

Me, I prefer the terms "two planks" v. "lunchtrays"....

People look at me funny when I say I used to slide sideways down a hill on a lunchtray, but then they get it...especially useful here in flat hot humid Helltown

Whoa!

I used the term riders. It was not in the NSSRA report. I had no idea that there were any snowboarders that take offense to that term. I use it interchangeably with "snowboarders", "boarders", etc.

"Riders" is a term that i have used for a long time.

To my knowledge, this is the first time that I have offended anyone with the term.

I apologize for the offense.

I really don't get it. I've been skiing on 1 plank for 20 years & even in the 80's I could not understand why the 1 plankers so horridly, desperately, loathed being considered a skier. I guess all that snow in the plumbers crack creates a brain freeze so they don't realize that they are riding a SKI lift at a SKI area:confused:

The industry only counts butts in the chairs not sticks on the feet.

I use it interchangeably with "snowboarders", "boarders", etc.

"Riders" is a term that i have used for a long time.

+1

I had no idea that there were any snowboarders that take offense to that term. I apologize for the offense.

Seems like a silly obsession w/semantics :rolleyes:

rider, snowboarder, slider...knuckldragger...SKI boarder..."hey you"

I answer to 'em all:biggthump

I apologize for the offense.

No apology necessary. I just don't like to use it and I was curious where it came from. I still don't think anybody RIDES a snowboard. Not any more than people RIDE skis anyway. I guess I just see Rider as a more general term for all sorts of things... Bike rider, snowmobile rider, horse rider...

I "ride", but it is a slang term for "going snowboarding". Kind of like "Are you a skier or rider" ?

We ride Skateboards, we ride bikes but we Drive snowboards, and a surfboard..... yes?

Kinda like the midsummer conversation of " So How many days of riding did you get in this past season" ?

No apology necessary. I just don't like to use it and I was curious where it came from. I still don't think anybody RIDES a snowboard. Not any more than people RIDE skis anyway. I guess I just see Rider as a more general term for all sorts of things... Bike rider, snowmobile rider, horse rider...

There we go, the last sentence sums it up why it's weird to call snowboarding riding.

Also, note that none of the things you mentioned are strapped to you.

A snowboard becomes an extension of your body, whereas a snowmobile is something that you sit on top of and allow to move you. Same with horses, motorcycles, etc.

There we go, the last sentence sums it up why it's weird to call snowboarding riding.

Also, note that none of the things you mentioned are strapped to you.

A snowboard becomes an extension of your body, whereas a snowmobile is something that you sit on top of and allow to move you. Same with horses, motorcycles, etc.

well put

The Concise OED gives:

• verb (past rode; past part. ridden) 1 sit on and control the movement of (a horse, bicycle, or motorcycle). 2 (usu. ride in/on) travel in or on a vehicle or horse. 3 travel over on horseback or on a bicycle or motorcycle: ride the scenic trail. 4 be carried or supported by: surfers rode the waves. 5 sail or float: a ship rode at anchor in the dock. 6 (ride up) (of a garment) gradually move upwards out of its proper position. 7 (ride on) depend on. 8 (ride out) come safely through. 9 yield to (a blow) so as to reduce its impact. (be ridden) be full of or dominated by: people ridden by ill health.

I guess current usage is related to (4) - riding the snow; (2) riding on a board; and (1). It's not at all derogatory; it's just a word.

I think the snowboard usage probably arises from the surfing aspect or maybe skateboarding. You didn't clip into the snurfer. I clip into my bike pedals; I clip into my snowboard; I hook into my windsurfer; Tow-in surfers ride huge waves; I ride my race board or my no board.

Well you did ask.