Note to New Members ×

Concave Base

Guest OCD

I am concerned about one of my boards, which I've just discovered, has a concave base. I took it to a shop recently hoping that I could watch the tech tune my board before I started at home. I didn't even consider any base issues because I bought it recently and thought base change may only happen later on down the road.

When we looked at it using a true bar there was a significant amount of light showing through. He said that a lot of material would have to be removed to get the base flat. I'm a little unsure of what to do. It did look like a lot of material would have to go in order to get an accurate base bevel but I don't have the experience to judge.

I've looked through past threads but haven't seen anything quite this specific. Any thoughts?

I had an RT (SL168) that was railed too...never was sure if it came that way (one Ski tech said it did, but I don't think that he ever saw a race board, and didn't want to risk doing something stupid) or got that way. Nevertheless, It rode awesome on edge. ..

not sure why I sold that one...

-Noah

Guest AlpentalRider

Straight from a tuning guide:

"The base should not be concave, or “railed”, with the edges higher than the base. A concave base or railed edges encourages the equipment to run straight and impairs the turning ability of the equipment. Although, a slight concave base may provide some riders with quicker contact for turning and some added stability.

Conversely, the bases should not be convex. A Convex bases (base is higher than the edges) will cause your equipment to wander and make it difficult to put them on edge or grip on the snow.

"

So if it isn't real bad, or you don't notice a significant issue in turning the board I wouldn't worry about it. My guess would be you would really only notice it if you do alot of cruising, but my guess is you'll be on edge 90% of the time :D

Thanks for the input. I've not had any issues riding the board, it's been great. What about the base bevel, do I leave it and focus on the side edges? Guess I'll just have to live with it and make sure that when buying a board over the net, the guy on the end uses a true bar before sending me anything.