Note to New Members ×

Overcoming Self

utahcarver

This past weekend of riding has provided me with an unparalleled amount of satisfaction. I was able to overcome some problems I was having on my toeside carves and my riding came together if but for a brief time. This couldn't have happened without reading several tech articles here on BOL.

I want to thank Jack Michaud (Toeside Problem) and Tom Palka (Carving - Ranges Of Movement) for their articles in the tech section. I am indebted to them for their insights and suggestions. By applying what I read in the articles I was able to make a breakthrough yesterday and today. This is stuff I knew about and had applied in earlier seasons but had let fall by the wayside.

Specifically, I was experiencing these problems:

1. I was reaching for the snow on toesides.

2. I kept gaining speed when I didn't want to.

3. Initiated toeside turns were weak and I often scrubbed speed by sliding the tail of my board.

4. I couldn't seem to get my timing down with turn initiation. Turns were wide and sketchy.

So, after reading the tech articles I took it to the snow. At first, I was unsure of myself and paid for it by eating some spring groomed snow. As the day warmed and I was able to gain confidence, all of the effort paid off when I started linking turns and staying in the fall line with control of most all of my movements.

I've been hardbooting for almost 6 years now. You'd think I would have this simple stuff memorized and archived by now. I wish I had pics to show the forum my success story. The real joy came today when I dug a toeside trench around two ski patrollers who were parked in the middle of the run just below a roller. What a couple of knuckleheads! I was able to comfortably go around them and stayed in control.

Anyway, I hope you all read the tech articles and apply them when needed. I have benefited from others insights and experience and I'm grateful.

Mark

Well said Utahcarver. The amount of "free for the taking" information here is a service to us all. Thanks to ALL the people who put it here, along with the people that make this site possible. HARDBOOTERS SALUTE YOU!

+1 to the thankyou!!

It feels soooo good when you start having your breakthroughs.

Carving has a lot to do with confidence too... if you don't have confidence then you don't progress very well.....

Wow, thanks for the kind words Mark! Hearing stories like this makes it all worth it. Glad we've helped.

Cross-through can really help if you are still gaining too much speed and you can't get rid of it without skidding. Aggressive carving scrubs speed. Simply leaning on the sidecut and waiting for the turn to come around does not. Cross-through minimizes time wasted in transition, and allows you to get that board up to maximum edge angle the quickest.

Nice going! :biggthump

I've got that problem on the steeps as well. On the not-so-steeps I can carve real hard and it feels great... Except I need to get up some speed before I move on to the next turn.

I know what I gotta do, I just gotta grow some balls.

Jack, my success on the mountain last weekend came from several things which were mentioned in yours and Tom's articles. One of the changes I made (on toeside turns) was to make a 'C' shape out of my body, so that my body was arcing away from the snow. The result was phenomenal. On fairly icy groomers, I experienced a lot of confidence from the new-found grip I had on my toeside turns.

Also, from one of the pictures which is in your article, I've determined that I am already executing cross-through turns. Perhaps, this along with gaining some insight into why my toeside turns weren't working for me is what gave me a euphoric couple of days of riding.

For instance, instead of using up the whole width of the run I was staying within a 20 to 25 yard swath and kept in the fall-line of the run. On another run which is gully-shaped, I was able to 'surf' up and down on the sides of the run. OMG, it was magical to have that much speed to carry and stay in control.

Now, I'd like to take this success to a steeper slope and see what happens. I have more confidence and I know the fun factor would increase.

I was riding a Tanker 200 with TD2's, Raichle 413's and BTS with blue springs both days.

Mark

Jack, my success on the mountain last weekend came from several things which were mentioned in yours and Tom's articles. One of the changes I made (on toeside turns) was to make a 'C' shape out of my body, so that my body was arcing away from the snow. The result was phenomenal.

Yes, that is the key, imo. Heelside becomes the security blanket because the hips (c.o.g.) naturally drop into the turn, and the C-shape results. Making that happen on toeside is the key to unlock the confidence on that side.

Furthermore, I don't see how that's possible while riding with a strict "face the bindings" technique. That stance sets you up to bend over at the waist and reach for the snow if you ask me. The "reverse C", if you will. You need a little hip twist towards the nose to drop the hip in.

Like Nolan...

http://jmphotocraft.smugmug.com/gallery/4484815_z4Kur#263836680_Awbtc-A-LB

or Prentice...

http://jmphotocraft.smugmug.com/gallery/4484815_z4Kur#263826491_AePBP-A-LB

Also, from one of the pictures which is in your article, I've determined that I am already executing cross-through turns.

For instance, instead of using up the whole width of the run I was staying within a 20 to 25 yard swath and kept in the fall-line of the run.

Cool, sounds like it's happening then.

Now, I'd like to take this success to a steeper slope and see what happens. I have more confidence and I know the fun factor would increase.

That's where snapping a quick cross-through really helps. Not much time to think on the steeps, gotta make it second nature.

Furthermore, I don't see how that's possible while riding with a strict "face the bindings" technique. That stance sets you up to bend over at the waist and reach for the snow if you ask me. The "reverse C", if you will. You need a little hip twist towards the nose to drop the hip in.

Perhaps I misspoke in saying that I made a "C" while riding toeside turns. As you state above, it is a "reverse C". And, you are correct in asserting that it is important to twist the hips toward the nose of the board. When I did not twist, I could detect the board not completely locking into the turn. When I did twist, the turn felt more natural and it was easier to transition to the next (heelside) turn.

Mark