Note to New Members ×

So Cal?

FTA2R

Mountain High is good for another 30 days by their estimate, and that's REAL close.

Plus, it's a beautiful drive, going through hardcore desert with Joshua Trees (Where the Streets Have No Names..) and them BAM! Pine trees and snow.

For me, it's about 4 hours from my front door to the base of the slope, from San Diego. You would have to Mapquest it to get the distance, and multiply each mile by a number with at least 12 place values to get an approximate time in traffic.

Obviously, I'm not a judge on the suitability for carving at Mountain High, so maybe Mammoth is your best bet.

I gonna bash Mountain High because I hate the place... The only thing good about that place is the easy drive. The mountain itself is covered with park stuff on the vast majority of runs that would make nice carving runs. It's also filled with a bunch of jerk off high school and college kids that think they're the greatest. They also boast about the best snow making abilities, but have no water supply to make it :rolleyes:...

If you can't make it to Mammoth, then I suggest going to Big Bear. Both Snow Summit and Bear Mt. are better resorts and have better snow coverage. The runs are longer and wider. They have better snow making capabilities due to the limitless supply of water from the lake. As for the drive to Big Bear, it's probably an extra 20-30 minutes depending on where you're coming from, but I find it to be super fun. I love twisty mountain roads and/or canyon driving. You get to carve the roads on the way up, carve the mountain on your snowboard, then carve the roads on the way down.

Also, conditions the last week at Big Bear were awesome, they got 8 inches last Sunday. According to the other SoCal carvers, it was still good on Tuesday and Thursday of this week.