Note to New Members ×

video clip

kalalex

nice...but did you really have to embed it? The whole forced autoplay/buffer thing's annoying. It's either me or them, but it keeps having to re-buffer, and so I have an interrupted video...It only plays around 10 seconds at a time... :(

I love the little coordinated parts...and I want the DVD....

Ooh...looked at source for page, got actual address of clip...yay. So I just downloaded it and can buffer from hd...

There's also two other videos available from that site. And one weighs in as a 42 meg avi! I checked the props of the videowindows, and now the buffering problem is solved! :)

hm...opera doesn't like to download asf files...so I used go!zilla.

files:

http://minobong.com/movie/commingsoon.asf

http://minobong.com/movie/carve_emotion.asf

http://minobong.com/movie/carve_emotion_02.avi

As well, downloading these saves them for posterity in the event that that site goes down sometime in the future! (Note: These files are freely available on the site, simply by browsing from the main site to movies and clicking on a link. These files were in no way hidden or protected, etc...)

Gary,,,I will definitely go to Mammoth once more before the season ends. I have a few more guys interested.

I'm also planning to participate in Mt. Hood's gathering that's around May 16th....

Let's get togher this time for Mammoth,,,

And,,,Like Neuff says,,,it's a free download.

I also think it's better to download and save the files on hard disk.

For the safety and not overloading the source site.

I tried to buy the tape only to find out it was too late.

They published a limited # of them,,,and were sold out so fast.

Nice clip, they seem to have fun...

Just one thought, ( no flame war please...):

I do NOT like their style at all...

It looks ugly, flapping arms like albatros"s taking off, counter-rotating lots etc... Not my thing!

On another point: incredible korean and Japanese market... I believe there lies one of the futures for Alpine since they are soooo many hardbooters there!

Nils

I need to take videos of myself...I have no idea how I look...

I've had a few people tell me I carve pretty much like these videos...but I don't believe any of them. I like to think that I carve less hard, but with fewer "bad" habits.

I want to get a 3rd person setup...

Wireless Video receiver in helmet, along with Glasstron video goggles.

Someone behind with a wireless-transmitting video camera. Then I can carve in third person! Hmm...I wonder what the viability of this is....

Originally posted by nils

(no flame war please...):

I do NOT like their style at all...

Nah, snow's gone so let's have a flame war! ;)

Their style is exactly the same as the style of every Japanese instructor I've seen (all of whom seem to ride hard boots at least some of the time). They all "face the nose" on toesides, and then become quite side-on during heelsides. They also do this distinctive thing with their front hand on heelsides - they keep it low and just in front of their front knee.

I'd be interested to hear other people's feedback on the style in those videos...

On another point: incredible korean and Japanese market... I believe there lies one of the futures for Alpine since they are soooo many hardbooters there!

Hmm, I may be wrong, but it seems like the general attitude to alpine in Japan is that it's part of the past, not the future. Alpine <b>used</b> to be big here, and many of the alpine riders that you see are riding really old gear. The attitude towards them is that they've been left behind by the advent of "modern" freestyle gear.

Still, alpine seems healthier here than it does in the US. Some days it seems like about 1 in 10 snowboarders are in hard boots.

No flame cos we still have snow here!

As for 10% on hard boots its huge !!!

Am not even sure germany has that nowadays...

A good way would be to do a small comparison of gear on ebay.de or .at and ebay.jp on snowboard... am sure you'd come up with good stats on how the market is in both countries...

Nils

Yo Baka!

Hope you had a good season. Sorry to hear about your equipment concerns - now you have an excuse to buy more stuff.

I would agree that most alpine riders here in Japan have a similar style. Rode a lot this season with a racing club full of alpine "otakus" (fanatics). Naturally, most of their styles were more racing oriented. Many of the riders were very focused on having perfect technique. Seemed to me that a lot of riders exaggerated upper body movements - especially shoulder movements.

I am a desk-jockey myself so my main focus has been more of burning off steam than perfecting technique. Did end up learning a little about running gates and edge pressure timing though.

Most of the alpine riders here are just super stoked and friendly. Even though I can't speak much Japanese, I have made quite a few good friends this season. Would have to say the alipne community here is tight (very similar to the USA). You have the same experiences?

About the percentage of alpine riders in Japan...

The owner of large shop around Nagoya told me that alpine accounts for between 2 and 5% in Japan. My guess would be closer to 2%. Still it is definitely stronger than in the USA.

You mentioned that you see many riders on old equipment. This is different to what I have seen. Most of the guys I rode with this winter were on the newest stuff. Some guys already have the new 04/05 Japanese models [Gray and R-17 Addicted(Burton stuff in Japan)].

Some shops are already showcasing next year's stuff.

http://www.spielen-sb.com/report/sbj/sbj.htm

Picked up a video called "Installer 2" of Japanese riders early in the season. Was filmed in New Zealand and has some decent footage. Also, saw somewhere that "Carve Emotion 3" is currently in the works.

You done for the season? Will be heading to Ciao Ontake on 4/18 for one last session.

Take care.

Originally posted by Speed Demon

Next Years board are looking nice, gotta find a place round here that sells them, rather than buying them online.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to find any of the above boards as I don't think they are even sold in the US via mail order, let alone offered in local shops. For a list of companies that offer equipment in the US check out The Carver's Almanac.

Originally posted by Miltie

Yo Baka!

Most of the alpine riders here are just super stoked and friendly. Even though I can't speak much Japanese, I have made quite a few good friends this season. Would have to say the alipne community here is tight (very similar to the USA). You have the same experiences?

<p>Absolutely. Hardbooters nearly always say hello, and I often end up taking a few runs together with new-found friends. It's a pretty friendly scene. I had a bunch of guys come up to me as I was leaving last Sunday to check out my Bombers. They'd never seen anything like them before and thought they were very sutekki.
About the percentage of alpine riders in Japan...

The owner of large shop around Nagoya told me that alpine accounts for between 2 and 5% in Japan. My guess would be closer to 2%.

<p>I think my local mountain might actually have a higher proportion of carvers, on both skis and snowboards, than most other places. No powder, not much in the way of freestyle, just perfect grooming on super-smooth slopes.
You mentioned that you see many riders on old equipment. This is different to what I have seen.
<p>It's the weekends when the hardbooters on old equipment come out. Old boards, old bindings, old boots, old clothes, and old people! The mid-week crowd always has shiny new gear.
You done for the season?
<p>Yep, had my last day on Sunday 11th. Next season, issho!