Note to New Members ×

What does your equipment weigh? Hood River Summer.

snowghost

For some of us, Memorial Day will be the 20 th anniversary of our first "Hood River Summer", when we trained on the mountain in the morning and rode the river in the afternoon.

A lot of the future pros and Olympic team members were just highly motivated kids, fresh out of high school. There was never any trouble with the locals. Land was cheap, and Government Camp did not have a police department.

This was good for us "late twenty and thirty somethings". We could still sneak into the whirlpool at Timberline Lodge, with our BYO beer, for the daily "Mash Report" before heading to the river. Every day someone you knew broke something, whether it was their body or their gear.

Everything in snowboarding was heavy, and broke. Everything in windsurfing was getting lighter, and broke.

But, we all knew what everything weighed because we were after the best performance combination for the conditions and the task at hand, whether we were racing, training for the bump competition (Yes, they had them), or riding a "hand shaped" prehistoric pipe in our "cut down" and "tongue-drilled" hardboots.

Except for "board weight", does anyone care about component weight anymore?

Do you know what your binding weighs? Lifts? Cants? Boots? Do you care? Does it make a difference? What works best for you? Did you ever train with a weight jacket? - Have fun. - "ghost"

I only care about weight when I am going backcountry. Esp. boots, have Dynafit TLT4's w/thermo liners = 2lb. 14oz per boot. Plate binding toe/heel blocks directly mounted on Verts, for less weight. You get the picture....I am not drilling forks yet, but getting close!

Before I ordered a Donek Wide, I emailed Donek asking if they knew the weight - and Sean actually weighed one for me. Purty kewl.

Jake hadn't responded to my inquiry regarding the T6 by the time I placed my order.

I am somewhat concerned with swing weight, but don't know more detail than which one of my bindings are the heaviest, etc.

________

LindaXXX

Why do our boots weigh so much?

I always wondered that too. Over the past 20 years we've seen so many things made considerably lighter and stronger by using carbon fiber & graphite & kevlar. I've seen inline skating boots made of carbon fiber that were extremely light and strong. So I'm surprised that ski boots are still so bulky and heavy.

• 4 weeks later...

kessler 185+VIST+Snowpro race ltd = 20+ lbs (not mine, i rode one for a few days) once you start making your turns and digging in, it really doesnt matter as much; it takes a little extra effort to make big transitions but the weight is not bad, if anything; it only makes you faster.

(im about 175 lbs)